Divers Needed - Golf Ball Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a few questions for gastronomy so I shot him an email. Here are my questions and his answers. I hope he does not mind me sharing the information here. Gastronomy, if you do let me know and I will remove it. Hope this helps someone.

Email starts as follows,

Good evening Dan,

Allow me to go through your questions and answer them the best that I can.

1. As a diver would I go to a coarse alone? You mentioned something about a dive team. Is that to say that there would be more than one diver at a coarse at a time. Or when you say team do you mean the group of divers that is working for you/themselves during this season. As for a team, I have numerous divers that work for me, hence team. In regards to diving alone, I do not send new divers out alone. I do this for multiple reasons. First, too often new divers flake and or no show all together. Also by being paired initially, this gives a mentoring opportunity for the new diver to fully grasp how operations take place. So yes, there are frequently times there are multiple divers on a course at one time, but only when team want to work together or if the volume justifies it.

2. Are the divers assigned specific courses that they are responsible for all the time. We have only been working the North East / Mid Atlantic as a single entity for the past 2 years, but most of the divers either work their region (close to where they live) or have requested to go back to courses they have worked before. The benefit of repeat servicing by the same diver is familiarity as well as rapport with the courses.

3. You say that we would start diving full time the first week in April, does this mean 40 hours a week or do you mean April through the end of the season. I am meaning that we service April October, but as we continue to acquire more and more courses, there are areas that justify 40+ hour weeks of diving.

4. I did look on the website and was curious as to where we would go to ship out the balls and if we were responsible for the shipping cost or if a prepaid label would be supplied. Shipping is at no cost to the diver. Depending on the divers location a local shipping center is used. The balls are taken to the facility, but they do need to be stacked and plastic wrapped the pallet of balls. For some divers they can drop the balls off locally, for others, I have some people that will come and pick them up from the divers.

5. What is the cost to start out doing this? Is there an upfront cost to get going? For the most part, start up costs, is ensuring you have dive gear, mesh bags (laundry style or lobster bags i.e.). I will provide the bags the balls get shipped in. You will need to have a means to secure the bags, wire tie, zip tie, etc.. Also part of being able to go out on the course yourself, you will need to have general liability insurance. By being paired up with another diver initially, allows you on the courses with their insurance and you can earn enough money to cover the costs of the insurance. On average the insurance is about $600-700 annually.

6. On the web site it says you meaning us the diver provide everything necessary in the way of tools of the trade. What are the tools of the trade? Are you referring to standard dive gear? This is simply a catch all meaning that you as an independent contract are require to have your own tools to be able to accomplish the task. I can make recommendations, I can list what I and other use, but ultimately it is your responsibility to be prepared for the job at hand. Of course you need the typical dive gear, thermal protection suit, mask, gloves, air, regulator, catch bag, etc

These are great questions and feel free to ask more if anything else comes to mind.

Best regards,

Just to add my experience, I have done this now for 3 years (Summer job). I average about 3,500 balls per day in a 4-5 hour dive day. Add in driving , rinsing gear and tank fills and it becomes an 8 hour day.

Costs are actually pretty low. As mentioned, shipping is at no cost to the diver, I bought some cheap rental gear and air fills are $5.

In the end I'll make $250 in a day and spend $15 in air. Not too bad.

I am about to move to Diamondhead Mississippi, and was wondering about opportunities there. I know Diamondhead has several golf courses but didn't know if you serviced them.
Please let me know.

I am about to move to Diamondhead Mississippi, and was wondering about opportunities there. I know Diamondhead has several golf courses but didn't know if you serviced them.
Please let me know.

I personally only cover the mid Atlantic and North East, but if you contact Jeff Wall from PG Professional Golf Services, at 1-888-681-9381 ext 234 or jeffw@pgprofessionalgolf.com to find out about the opportunities in your area.

I hope this helps.

The idea always interest me, but a few things come into my mind that prevent me from trying to do this part time for extra cash:

1) I would be afraid of the chemical unless I had a full face mask and chemical proof drysuit. But that type of stuff is usually expensive.
2) I would be afraid of cutting myself up on broken glass and barb wire.
3) Diving solo or w/ out a spotter on the surface would be risky in my opinion the first few times in each pond (due to barbwire and stuff like that). After that I wouldn't see a huge risk beyond the normal.
4) Areas w/ alligators and crocs would be scary. I could imagine grabbing around and then looking forward to see a croc in my face.

In October I had a new course up in Rye, NH (the Portsmouth area), in two days, a fellow diver and myself pulled over 27,000 golf balls from a single water hazard. Being that the average price paid to divers is $.08-$.10 per ball, those two days brought in over $2,200.00.
Why would anyone want to go diving and sell the balls they get for 8 to 10 cents each to you (or whomever), when they could sell them for a lot more on the open market? Hell, even used balls from the used sports store in town are going for at least 50 cents each.

The balls you get are dirty and a mess. You are under contract to sell all balls.

I have never dived for golf balls but I know a hull cleaning company in San Diego that does. When I was down there last year the owner showed me a container full of golf balls he couldn't sell and more coming in all the time.

I can't imagine doing that kind of work in anything but a haz-mat rated dry suit. The chemicals and bird crap? No thanks. And I clean boat bottoms for a living! :D

I have never dived for golf balls but I know a hull cleaning company in San Diego that does. When I was down there last year the owner showed me a container full of golf balls he couldn't sell and more coming in all the time.

I can't imagine doing that kind of work in anything but a haz-mat rated dry suit. The chemicals and bird crap? No thanks. And I clean boat bottoms for a living! :D

We have had divers doing this for more than 3 decades. Are there chemicals, yes, do we deny this, NO! This is a job, there are risks, but if you wear the appropriate attire, you are fine. I would not ask a fire fighter to go into a burning building without the appropriate gear, no would I ask a diver to go into a water hazard without appropriate gear.

So please stop pissing and moaning about what YOU wouldn't do, this is a post looking for people that ARE willing to do a dirty job and get paid for it.

Honestly, if every job in the world was clean and easy, we would be a very different society, but that is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom