Divers frowned on by Hoop Netters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whalerkyle

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The private boater hoop netter guys really have a bad taste for divers. There are so many accusations of scuba divers robbing nets on the fishing forums that it makes me sick. A certain well known San Diego skiff (that will remain unnamed here) was observed and photographed dropping divers directly on top of hoop bouys, surfacing, and dropping down on the next bouy, and playing "connect the dots" with each net.
I just want to remind my fellow divers to be carefull out there, and respect the hoop netter guys, as they should do the same.
If anyone has any questions on this, please private email me.

Kyle

Hey Kyle yep I saw the post. The hoopnetters are trying to blame divers for there slow unproductive nights which is just not right.

I tried to explain to them that because of visablity and other reasons divers are not trying to go near there hoops but don't see them till they are only 5-10ft away.

We all know that divers are only allowed on the outside of most breakwalls so that leaves the whole inside breakwall and inner harbors for hoopnetters to have all to theirselves imo I am not saying that they are not allowed to hoop on the outside but I am saying for me if divers are a problem then I would go where they are not allowed or find areas not frequented by divers.

By the way I hoopnet also so my opinions are not one sided.

What's a hoopnet used for, how do they work. Thanks

A hoopnet is a 4 foot diameter weighted net. Here in Cali, you can have 5 hoops per liscensed angler, and a max of 10 per boat. You drop the net down, baited with whatever kind of stinky rotten fish heads or caracasses you have and wait about 25 mins. Each net has a pull rope attached to it with a glow stick usually zip tied to it, and a float, or a popular milk jug.
I also hoop net when I'm too much of a wuss to jump in the 50 degree water. I lay my spread about 50' apart from each other, usually 5 nets, and pull each net every 25-30 mins. The force from pulling up keeps the bugs in the net until you plop them on deck to measure.
Kyle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom