Diver's Death off Lover's Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From your link...
Man dies in Monterey scuba diving accident July 11, 2006

In yet another sad report a man died during a scuba dive in Monterey over the weekend. (male diver), who was 54, was pulled to shore by his 19 year old son, after becoming tangled in seaweed diving off Lovers Point, states Monterey Herald.com

Police officers, ocean-rescue workers, and fire and ambulance paramedics responded to the scene. Holbrook was taken to Community Hospital of the Peninsula, where he was pronounced dead at 12:31 p.m.

Gotta' be careful and buddy aware in that kelp. I never had a problem with it, but I can see how some could.

Dryglove:
Truly a tragic event. If i recall corectly there was a female diver that died off lovers cove/point a few years back from being entangled in kelp.

I think that one involved the failure of some really old equipment and the kelp entanglement hampered the rescue more than anything. IIRC, the dive shop offered to loan her a reg for free because they were concerned about it.

This one must be very hard on the son. My deepest sympathies go out the family.

dannobee:
This one must be very hard on the son. My deepest sympathies go out the family.
Yeah, if this had happened in my family, I would have wished I'd been there to help, but - if I was there and it still happened, damn! Best wishes to the boy especially...

That is sad, and scary too, since that's on my dive calendar for the next couple of months.
I got snarled by a little kelp at Monastery, but nothing major. In these waters I do dive with a knife (- just in case I need to cut off the snagged arm or leg), but slow movements and a calm demeanor are what really help.

Is this something to be concerned with while diving in Monterey? Was this particular person not careful, or can one get pushed into a bed of kelp by strong currents? Is it possible that this individual was unable to escape even with a knife? Sorry, newbie here, thanks.

Kelp requires some different techniques and awareness. Try to avoid surfacing in the middle of the kelp canopy if possible. If tangled, relax, leave the reg in your mouth and dont make things worse by rolling. Kelp is easily broken by bending it. Use the kelp crawl when crossing kelp on the surface by using your hands to push it under your body as you glide over the top of it. It is a very slow process but is necessary if you surface on the wrong side of the kelp and dont have enough air to go back under to swim through the other side under the surface. If you get tangled utilize your buddy.

Dryglove:
...If tangled, relax, leave the reg in your mouth and dont make things worse by rolling. Kelp is easily broken by bending it. Use the kelp crawl when crossing kelp on the surface by using your hands to push it under your body as you glide over the top of it. ...

Exactly. Whatever you do, DON'T panic. It'll only make it worse. You can cut the kelp or snap it by bending it over on itself like a cooked carrot. Keep the reg in your mouth and use your head to think through any move that you might make.

Once you gain some experience, even getting tangled up in kelp is no big deal, other than the copapods and kelp hitch-hiking back to shore with you.

I sought out (actually, he found me!) an instructor and two divemaster candidates who gave me a local orientation (PADI Discover Local Diving) to (1) kelp and (2) surf entry. It was very, very useful and I'd highly recommend it before diving in Monterey. All of the advise above is good. Also, don't spin around to try and see the entanglement. You'll just end up wrapped up in it. Most important, STOP and DON'T PANIC! Slowly backup if possible without spinning. Also, reach back and feel to find the entanglement. It is most likely on your tank valve or 1st stage or under you on your gauges. Oh ... and limit those dangles!

Back
Top Bottom