Diver's death in Sandwich MA 11/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tengai

Registered
Reaction score
I just heard about this tragedy. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

This is the brief news story;

'(CBS4) SANDWICH Sandwich police say the body of a male scuba diver was pulled from the water off the Cape Cod Canal Saturday afternoon after authorities spent hours searching for the man.

Police say the death is being considered an accident.

The scuba diver was a resident of Cape Cod and born in 1962.

His death has been ruled an accident'

Does anyone have anymore information ?

Greg

Wow. Haven't heard anything. Searched all over internet. I personally new of at least three folks there yesterday including instructor. Conditions were about as good as it gets this time of year.

Just caught 7:00 News: 42 yr old Yarmouth man dies while scuba diving off Sandwich. Body recovered from Cape Cod Canal.

This location (one of my favorites) is very deceiving. East of the jetty is wonderful diving, even for novices. When the conditions are appropriate, the water is clear and calm, loaded with lobsters and crabs, and depth is minimal (20' max depending). The problem is once you pass the tip of the jetty(point of no return) there's no turning back-you'll be sucked into the Cape Cod Canal and at it's mercy. Many folks don't realize this and there are frequent Coast Guard rescues as a result.

Not sure what happened yesterday but will pass along new as it comes available.

from above link (emphasis mine):

It was unclear to authorities yesterday how Switzer drowned, but he was diving alone.

Switzer might have become entangled in some line, possibly attached to an underwater buoy or lobster trap, according to Timothy McMahon, the fire captain in charge of the rescue effort.

Officials said Switzer's diving equipment appeared to be functioning correctly, although he was missing a piece to his wetsuit. When he was found by authorities, Switzer wasn't wearing a buoyancy control device commonly used by divers.

(...)

Searchers had to battle a strong, easterly moving current that looped back into the canal before finding Switzer's body.

While it was unclear why Switzer was scuba diving, several bystanders said the area is a popular scuba spot to search for lobsters.

The spot where they found this guy is loaded with monofilament line, lobster traps, and has an insane current.

This is some info from another board. The poster got it from a friend before it hit the news. Very sad.

"There was a fatal diving accident this afternoon in Sandwich when a newly
certified 43 year old male diver decided to dive solo between the Cape Cod
Canal and the jetty at Horizons restaurant.

It appears that the diver got caught in the Canal current and as he was
drawn outward, he entangled in a lobster line and the line became wrapped
around his primary regulator and the regulator was torn from his mouth.

The 911 call was received in Sandwich around 3:30 pm by a caller on the
beach who had seen the diver enter the water but not return.

The diver was recovered by the Sandwich Fire Dive Team shortly before 6:00
pm with just over 2,000 PSI in his tank, weights in place, and a large knife
accessible on his lower leg.

The story hasn't made the local news at this point.

Just an note, the Cape Cod Canal current can reach 7 knots at full tide."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom