Diverite Travelwings or Halcyon pioneer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
A stroke answer....The real answer is Honda :)

Depends on what you want to do with it. Maybe the better comparison is the DR Venture or Halcyon Pioneer wing. If you are going to go with the DR Travel wing then you might want to look into the DR Venture wing as well. It's about the same price as the Travel wing and isn't much bigger or more bulky. It's a single tank wing that offers a bit more flexibilty and toughness than the Travel wing.

In most cases, the Halcyon will probably cost more. Most folks will probably also answer that the one they use is better as most folks haven't had the chance to dive both to compare personally. I use the Venture wing and love it. I did seriously consider the very well made Halcyon but price won out. It was more than 100 bucks cheaper than the Halcyon and the Halcyon didn't APPEAR to be 100 bucks better from opinions on this board and locally. Both brands have great reputations.

thanks man, il look into venture. il be using it for warm water. i usually carry 4 lbs of lead weight using a 3mm wetsuit i :D n salt water. which should i use? aluminum bp or steel? any recommendations? thanks again!

I agaree with Scubadobadoo.

I dive the Venture wing and love it.

Packs down nice and tight and is very tough.

If you are only using 4lb, maybe you should consider getting a used Halcyon Batwing - thing it was a 17 or 18lb wing. Nice n small for down south. Also OxyCheq sells an 18lb, I have a 30lb and love it maybe worth checking out.

prenzy:
thanks man, il look into venture. il be using it for warm water. i usually carry 4 lbs of lead weight using a 3mm wetsuit i :D n salt water. which should i use? aluminum bp or steel? any recommendations? thanks again!
I dive a Halcyon 27lb wing with an Aluminum backplate and a SS STA. With a 3mm wetsuit and an Al80, I use 4lbs. With a steel HP100, I don't need lead..

I've been diving an old ScubaPro x-tek with travel wings for a while, and just this month upgraded to the TransPac II. I looked ad infinitum at both travel and venture wings, and decided on the travel's as they're better suited to the diving I do (warm and warm-temperate, non-entanglement with sharp objects). The Venture's a bit bulkier, but tougher. I'm nice to my gear, so settled for the more compact Travel Wing. I also like the elastic stuff that surrounds the bladder. No complaints yet. And the TransPac is simply fantastic, woohoo!!

What nobody else has mentioned in favor of the VentureWing, is that it's compatible with the backplate harness system and the Travel Wings are not. Something to keep in mind if you ever go the backplate route, endorsed ad nauseum on this board. Eventually I'll succumb to their wickedness...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom