Diverite transpac or transplate help in choosing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awdemeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am making the big switch to a harnis system and i am torn betweena trans plate and a trans pac i have to use those for the extra support as i have some back issues. I am going to go with a venture wing to dive a single al 80 I would like to get into tech diving and doing doubles with deco bottles. I also use a drysuit and use in a jacket bcd about 34 lbs of lead. any info would be much apreceated

Between the 2 you mentioned I would go for the transplate. Specially if you intend to go on doubles you need a backplate to have the double cylinders firmly rest on your back without bouncing and taking you out of balance. Also you can take some weight out using a back plate, which I think is good, I don`t use weight belt even with AL single cylinder (SS BP + weighted STA + two weight pockets in the STA bands).

To complete, the BP lets you adjust better your trim, as part of your weight is distributed on your back.

I use BP and wing, but prefer a regular harness, 1 single piece of webbing, like the one in the picture

Attachments

• backplate_harness_300.jpg
    backplate_harness_300.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 50
I am making the big switch to a harnis system and i am torn betweena trans plate and a trans pac i have to use those for the extra support as i have some back issues. I am going to go with a venture wing to dive a single al 80 I would like to get into tech diving and doing doubles with deco bottles. I also use a drysuit and use in a jacket bcd about 34 lbs of lead.
Based on the information provided, both about current diving and future plans, it would appear that a Transplate - with SS backplate - is the more appropriate choice. The more interesting question, regarding the compatinility of 'some back issues' and 'doubles with deco bottles', perhaps could be addressed at a future time.

I would not bother with the transplate harness i would just go for the (dir or hog) harness its way cheeper and easyer to replace if need be. As for a plate i would go stainless steel and maybe find a weighted single tank adapter ie. halcyon( i dont know anybody else that makes one ).

The older venture wing was a great wing i dont know if they have changed it i had one in my single tank days loged allot of dives on it you will be very happy with it

I have both and love the transpac. I dive both singles and doubles with 2 deco bottles on my transpac with no problems and total comfort. If you are predominately going to dive singles the transpac is a great option as it has the hip and back comfort of a soft jacket with all the advantages of a BP/W. Trust me you will never dive a jacket BC again. You will need more than a venture wing to dive doubles anyway, so you will probably end up with 2 wings. You can use a dive rite rec wing to dive both, however the venture is a better singles wing. Either option is good. I started with the transpac for all my single diving and then just changed my wing on the odd occasion I dived doubles. Then eventually as I did more tech diving (and got lazier) I got a second set up so I didn't have to change my wing (this really doesn't take long anyway). It really comes down to personal preference. I know plenty of tech divers who dive Transpac and love it. If you have back issues either option wont help particularly once you have 3 or 4 tanks on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom