Vessel Diver vs Boat in Bonaire

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to one or more vessels from kayaks to ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The BES article is devoid of many details regarding this accident. Are there any other descriptions of what happened and how it happened?

Since I have no first hand knowledge of the accident, I can't add anything substantive to the news clip. Suffice to say, there are boaters here that don't obey the rules. "Dive defensively"

This highlights to me my personal concern with the proposed boat ramp at Parke Isidel. There are a lot of divers and snorkelers in that area on a regular basis.

The BES article is devoid of many details regarding this accident. Are there any other descriptions of what happened and how it happened?
Having lived on Bonaire I have to say that "news" articles are pretty low on details. I've had dinner with the owners of the BES a couple of times but they were so nice I didn't bring it up. I think it's just the Dutch style. I find the same thing in the news in Mexico though...

I had more than a few close calls with boats and boat related activity there for sure. Anywhere near the kite boarding sites, even in the light blue slow boat zones their chase boats don't slow down, nor are they easy to hear as you ascend. Everyone knows you're supposed to go slow inside the mooring buoys but not everyone does. STINAPA is not helpful on the topic when contacted. I know, I tried. My practice was to remain submerged until I could stand up just offshore.

Another incident that shouldn't have been legal but actually is: My wife and I were diving the Salt Pier. I saw an illegal anchor and went to investigate it. I took a photo and then a perfectly legal cement block anchor came down right near me. I signaled to leave the area because what was coming next was fishing lines with good sized hooks on them. I'd already seen a snapper with a brand new hook and a couple of feet of line a while before. I surfaced and got photos of the boat with the illegal anchor and then we moved towards shore. The boat went under the Salt Pier and they cast more lines right down among the pilings, and diver's bubbles. Completely unsafe and yet it's perfectly legal to fish at the island's most popular dive site.

We were lucky to figure these things out without being hit by a boat or snagged by a hook but I still can't figure out how an island that was put on the map by scuba divers doesn't take better care of scuba divers.

Having lived on Bonaire I have to say that "news" articles are pretty low on details. I've had dinner with the owners of the BES a couple of times but they were so nice I didn't bring it up. I think it's just the Dutch style. I find the same thing in the news in Mexico though...

I had more than a few close calls with boats and boat related activity there for sure. Anywhere near the kite boarding sites, even in the light blue slow boat zones their chase boats don't slow down, nor are they easy to hear as you ascend. Everyone knows you're supposed to go slow inside the mooring buoys but not everyone does. STINAPA is not helpful on the topic when contacted. I know, I tried. My practice was to remain submerged until I could stand up just offshore.

Another incident that shouldn't have been legal but actually is: My wife and I were diving the Salt Pier. I saw an illegal anchor and went to investigate it. I took a photo and then a perfectly legal cement block anchor came down right near me. I signaled to leave the area because what was coming next was fishing lines with good sized hooks on them. I'd already seen a snapper with a brand new hook and a couple of feet of line a while before. I surfaced and got photos of the boat with the illegal anchor and then we moved towards shore. The boat went under the Salt Pier and they cast more lines right down among the pilings, and diver's bubbles. Completely unsafe and yet it's perfectly legal to fish at the island's most popular dive site.

We were lucky to figure these things out without being hit by a boat or snagged by a hook but I still can't figure out how an island that was put on the map by scuba divers doesn't take better care of scuba divers.
Thanks for the info - will be there next week and Salt Pier was on my list...will use caution and rethink.

The rule of thumb is, local police will do their best to avoid any punitive actions against locals.

Same thing happened to us in Curacao this summer at Plaia Grandi next to AlWest apartments. We finished our dive and were surface swimming maybe 25-30 ft from the pier towards AlWest when a slowly travelling motor boat hit my gand daughter. Fortunately, the bow hit her tank, not her head. The boat moved on as if nothing happened and parked at the pier.

I emailed the police and got no response. I told our housekeeper and she said she does not know this people (BS, everybody knows everyone there; this was a black dude in his 60s who's yellow boat is always at the mooring at Grandi).

This September there was a small 2 man support boat for kite boarders at Atlantis running in the shallows (8') down past Vista Blue.
It has a white bottom "multi-chine style hull"?
Don't want to be taking a peak for exit in this area.
Only a matter of time...

One of the STINAPA Diving Rules is the use of an SMB "at all times."
  • Surface Marker Buoy: Make use of a Surface Marker Buoy at all times. This serves as a visual indicator of your presence.
I guess if a boat hits you and you did not have an SMB, STINAPA will rightfully just shrug.
Worse, basically no one in Bonaire uses an SMB....

One of the STINAPA Diving Rules is the use of an SMB "at all times."
  • Surface Marker Buoy: Make use of a Surface Marker Buoy at all times. This serves as a visual indicator of your presence.
I guess if a boat hits you and you did not have an SMB, STINAPA will rightfully just shrug.
Worse, basically no one in Bonaire uses an SMB....
Including every professional dive master on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom