Diver Relocating to TX: HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course there is. Totally false!

There are several local lakes around Texas. Clear Springs Scuba Park (CSSP) around Dallas, Lake Travis in Austin, Blue Lagoon in Huntsville and Twin Lakes south of Houston to name a few of the more popular ones.

Guess it depends on what you call decent diving. For salt water diving, there are charters that will take you out to the Gulf rigs in blue water, most leave out of Freeport. There's also the Spree and Fling, Gulf Diving's 2 liveaboards, that go out to the Flower Gardens 100+ miles offshore. The Gulf out of Galveston is very shallow in comparison to other coastal areas. There are lots of reasons why, but the water looks like chocolate milk and has stuff in it I'd rather not get into! You may find a small inland area, like Offats Bayou, but it's not the cleanest water to get in.

Those are about your only options for salt water diving in Texas unless you want to drive south to Corpus. We usually make the 10 hours drive to Panama City, Florida.

Just my 2¢

AllanHarr:
Is there such a thing as scuba diving in Texas?

There sure is, Allan! You just get on Continental Airlines at George Bush Intergalactic Airport, and 2 hours later you are in Cozumel, or 2 1/2 and you are in Belize! Great local diving.

On the other hand, if you really want to dive in the Houston/Galveston area, you can take my Public Safety Diving class. There is LOTS of blackwater diving to be done!!:D

AllanHarr:
Is there such a thing as scuba diving in Texas?

Do you really think we would be wasting our time in here if there wasn't??
LOL :laughing:

Where in Texas are you going to be living?

Dee pretty well hit it on the head...if you want salt water it's the Gulf for oil rigs, flower gardens and stetson bank.

On the other hand, if you like fresh water diving we have lakes all over the place in Texas. Vis is not going to be the same as it is in the ocean, but it's a whole lot of fun. I dive at least every other weekend. I imagine that will decrease some with the water temps cooling down.

BTW...I'm a SoCal girl myself so you won't be alone here! :)

Welcome!

Two other, decent, previously unmentioned, fresh water sites, located in the northern part of the state are Athens scuba park and Possum Kingdom Lake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom