Diver recovers from 10/2004 accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go Girl Go!

Much love and thank you for the inspiration. . . Im gonna go hug my kids,

Tevis

I had posted on another thread and mentioned about losing my sis to complications from a kidney transplant. Received a note from Kristina asking what happened and she mentioned her accident. All I can say is WOW - amazing toughness, faith, and medical personnel - as a former SoCal diver, I know the left coast can be challenging to dive; and to suffer a head injury and have the water take you out like it appears happened, is shocking

so I asked her if she knew how to find opld postings as I wanted to see what I had said about my sis, which I did - then out of curiosity I looked up her posts to see about her accident - good thing it's Sunday morning as many times as I said Oh My God!

BUT, to recover and then go diving again is incredible; I think for a few days my arthritis won't hurt so much, and I will have to ride my bike, walk the dog etc like I know I should -

Kristina, I hope I meet you in person someday so I can maybe be infused with your toughness and faith - you have restored my faith that there truly are Americans out there looking for more than a handout

Thanks, Hobster. Not sure whether it's bravado or what, but since I can't remember the accident I have no unusual fear of the water. I do remember the 4 months in the hospital though, and that wasn't anything I would want to experience again.
I did something dumb in the dive pool yesterday and am starting to rethink my readiness to dive. I inflated my BCD and tossed it into the pool. I had my fins on the side of the pool, then I jumped into the pool with my weight belt on, no BCD, no fins. Sunk to the bottom like a stone. Swam up from 10 ft. with 18 pounds around my waist, coughing, sputtering. Makes me worried about my upcoming dive trip off a boat in Monterey Sunday. Maybe I did sustain some brain damage? Dumb, dumb dumb...

pacificgal:
Thanks, Hobster. Not sure whether it's bravado or what, but since I can't remember the accident I have no unusual fear of the water. I do remember the 4 months in the hospital though, and that wasn't anything I would want to experience again.
I did something dumb in the dive pool yesterday and am starting to rethink my readiness to dive. I inflated my BCD and tossed it into the pool. I had my fins on the side of the pool, then I jumped into the pool with my weight belt on, no BCD, no fins. Sunk to the bottom like a stone. Swam up from 10 ft. with 18 pounds around my waist, coughing, sputtering. Makes me worried about my upcoming dive trip off a boat in Monterey Sunday. Maybe I did sustain some brain damage? Dumb, dumb dumb...

Have you gotten your transplant yet?

So you swam up with 18 pounds and no find!? IMHO, you're ready to dive. I doubt I could swim with that much weight without fins. Needless to say, we're all behind you. All the best.

I admire your determination and courage! Thanks for posting this, I really needed something to smile about. This is wonderful.

pacificgal:
Swam up from 10 ft. with 18 pounds around my waist, coughing, sputtering. Makes me worried about my upcoming dive trip off a boat in Monterey Sunday. Maybe I did sustain some brain damage? Dumb, dumb dumb...

Swam w/18 lbs? That takes swim skill. But, as an instructor two comments:

1. What the heck are you doing in a pool w/18 lbs? You did not mentiona a wetsuit. What were you wearing or no wetsuit? That seems way too much for a pool. Also, to try that hard to get to the surface seems like you had too much on;

2. Ask ANY experienced diver the boneheaded things they have done and you will get 2 or 3 things per person; forgetting weight belt, forgetting fins/mask/etc, air not on, leaving important gear at home, and these are just the ones I can remember I did!

Don't sweat it, I have learned to "modularize" and I grab my modules and go. If there is anything still in the box, I forgot something!

I usually dive with 20 pounds of lead and a 5/7 mm full wetsuit and hooded vest. I wasn't wearing my wetsuit in the pool, and forgot that I would have to take out weight. I was planning on switching the weight from the weight belt to my new BCD, so wasn't planning on wearing it for long. As I was struggling to reach the surface I considered dropping the weight belt, so at least I was still thinking. Yeah, bad move.
I have not gotten a transplant yet, and won't pursue it any further for another 2 years. My husband is in school and we just aren't ready yet financially or emotionally for me to be out of work again for another 3 months. I can wait. I have dialysis twice a week for an hour and a half, and it's not so bad. I am doing pretty well on dialysis.
I read the other things that people have done, and so I don't feel so bad, I guess we all have momentary lapses of good judgement or sense.
It's now 10:35 pm and I am going diving in the morning, I have all my gear packed up in the car (I hope my SPG works). When I used it in the pool on Thursday it wouldn't work at first, registered 0, the LDS owner knocked it once and it started working. I brought it back on Friday to have it checked out again and it was working.
Do those things sometime stick if not used for a few months?
Well, wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom