Diver recall systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue J

Contributor
Reaction score
Considering buying underwater diver recall systems for our commercial dive boats and looking for input. Does anyone here have one, such as the models offered by Oceanears? If so, what do you like about it and are there features you think are necessary?

I just checked on what that is on YouTube and LOL it sounds like an ambulance in a traffic jam!
To travel a 1000 miles away from home spending $$$$, to escape civilisation on a lovely resort island.. and then to hear this abomination underwater! Sigh!

Considering buying underwater diver recall systems for our commercial dive boats and looking for input. Does anyone here have one, such as the models offered by Oceanears? If so, what do you like about it and are there features you think are necessary?
Not sure but I think that is the unit used by the Truth-Vision boat in California. They used it on us when the military asked us to move and we were all underwater. I was about 1000 feet from the boat and it played the siren and it was clear as heck. I knew exactly what it was and we did our stops and returned to the boat.

I just checked on what that is on YouTube and LOL it sounds like an ambulance in a traffic jam!
To travel a 1000 miles away from home spending $$$$, to escape civilisation on a lovely resort island.. and then to hear this abomination underwater! Sigh!

It’s definitely intense. I don’t think we’d use the siren except in a genuine emergency. More likely we’d use the voice feature or a quick snippet of music.

It’s definitely intense. I don’t think we’d use the siren except in a genuine emergency. More likely we’d use the voice feature or a quick snippet of music.
Like in the situation posted above by FM @Johnoly yeah. That was a good use case.. would hate to hear that at a remote vacation spot though!

I have a 24ft welded aluminum Hewescraft that we dive and fish from. On a dive to approx 90ft and well upcurrent from the hook a few years ago I heard a distinctive double "clang" and when I got back to the boat asked my wife what that sound was. My wife let me know that a buddy had dropped a couple 5lb lead weights onto the offshore bracket.. which is basically part of the hull. Based on that, we now have a basic agreed procedure that involves a hammer being banged onto the bracket in sequential sets of three for our primitive recall system. Never had to use it yet.

For glass boats I'm kinda wondering if a simple 5ft or 6ft piece of schedule 80 aluminum pipe lowered so one end is underwater........ and a hammer might create a "redneck" recall system that works? I will try it next time out diving which should be about the 3rd week of May when Lingcod season opens and report back!

9p6QcfE.jpg

Back
Top Bottom