diver passes out at 10mt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When i said every test is a struggle I meant every medical test I want her to get done on top of the medical release she has already got. she is not very willing to go through more medical examination, as she believes its a one time event and she's fine.

Probably right that its not a great idea to simulate another over exertion, but she does still have a 400mt swim to do.

Is it my call to tell her she can't dive any more? can we as a dive center cancel her dm training due to this event? hard questions that i'm trying to find answers to…...
You can cancel DM training any time you want. No reason required. She will only go elsewhere.

I am no medical expert. I just want to make sure the degree of effort put in by someone who is not in the best of shape while doing the 800 meter swim should not be downplayed. The way the system works, the divers get points based on their times in the different parts of the test. Divers need a certain total for the tests combined, so a high score on one test can help cancel a low score on another. In my experience, DM candidates who are not strong surface swimmers and are worried about not getting good scores on the 400 meter swim or the tired diver tow will try to make up for it with the fastest possible time in the 800 meter snorkel swim. During that swim, their air exchange while going all out for that length of time is restricted by the snorkel.

I was once doing a difficult decompression dive that got off to a bad start because we had to surface swim in heavy current to a buoy at the top of a descent line while wearing doubles and carrying two AL 40s and an AL 80. The boat captain tried to drop us up current, but the last two off the boat (one of my team of 3 and I) ended up down current. It was all I could do to get there, and I was helped by the guy in front of me reaching out and pulling me in. I did the same for the other guy with me. He thumbed the dive at that point, telling us later he thought he was going to faint. My other buddy and I continued with the dive, but my pulse rate had to be near 180 at that point. It was still racing as I descended, and I was not really fully composed until we reached about 250 feet. I used the AL 80 both for the first part of the descent and for the first deco gas, and my calculations before the dive said I should have needed only half of it--I drained it. In retrospect, I probably should not have done the dive given the condition I was in after a relatively short but extremely strenuous surface swim into the current.

When i said every test is a struggle I meant every medical test I want her to get done on top of the medical release she has already got. she is not very willing to go through more medical examination, as she believes its a one time event and she's fine.

Probably right that its not a great idea to simulate another over exertion, but she does still have a 400mt swim to do.

Is it my call to tell her she can't dive any more? can we as a dive center cancel her dm training due to this event? hard questions that i'm trying to find answers to…...

You're in a tough spot. How confident are you in the doctors' conclusions and her assertion that she is fine?

Best regards,
DDM

so she has gone to a hospital that specialized in heart issues and done a stress test on a treadmill and doctors says she is fine would be happy to email the report if someone wants a closer look
i guess i'll let her get in the water again :)

I can see that this thread is a few months old now (I'm new here so just browsing around), however I've had similar experiences with a friend of mine - although not whilst diving.

She was fit and healthy (a dancer), around 20 years old and from time to time she simply just passed out, was unconcious for a few minutes, still breathing, was a bit confused and maybe a little tried as she came to - then she was fine again. There were never any warning signals. She never felt sick before or more tired on the day, dizzy etc.

This just happened one day, a while before I met her, and she was going through a lot of medical tests to figure out what this was. It then happened at irregular intervals, and several times throughout the 10 months we were in school together. The doctors seemed to think it was a form of epilepsy, and the fainting was a form of a seizure. But at the time it was just guesswork - all tests showed she was perfectly healthy, although something was definitely wrong. They didn't have any cure or way to treat her when I last spoke to her a few years back - maybe they do now?

Just wanted to let you guys know - it was a mystery to the doctors here, and if they've figured it all out now it still would have taken years for them to find out what was wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom