Diver Mobility Augmentation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeusVerto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I find it rather interesting that virtually every diver propulsion augmentation system (electric scooters, et. al.) are of the classical two-hand-hold-drag-the-diver-behind configuration.

However, virtually every other extra environment propulsion system, including those used by NASA for space "walking", are designed to have the thrust moment behind the operator. Obviously in space there is no drag component, and all of the movement is nearly pure force vector addition, but this got me to thinking.

What about a tank mounted, vectored thrust, electric diver mobility solution that could be controlled by a pod-mounted thumb joystick? No tying up both hands...no prop stream in your face...less steering effort...

But I was thinking of something with a little more in the way of control options.

This thing only seems to have a "switch" (as they call it) but it would almost certainly need to be variable speed, unless you can clickey-clack really fast. :)

The issue here is that the thrust moment is an not inconsiderable distance from the center of mass (or drag). Without the ability to adjust the thrust vector, there would be a learning curve associated with this device.

Yes, this seems like a step in the right direction and worth a look.

I find it rather interesting that virtually every diver propulsion augmentation system (electric scooters, et. al.) are of the classical two-hand-hold-drag-the-diver-behind configuration.

However, virtually every other extra environment propulsion system, including those used by NASA for space "walking", are designed to have the thrust moment behind the operator. Obviously in space there is no drag component, and all of the movement is nearly pure force vector addition, but this got me to thinking.

What about a tank mounted, vectored thrust, electric diver mobility solution that could be controlled by a pod-mounted thumb joystick?
No tying up both hands...no prop stream in your face...less steering effort...

Like this one?

CudaManuver.jpg

Just sayin'.

All the best, James

I run a scooter with one hand not two. I would imagine that a device like you are wanting to build would be very heavy if you wanted any type of performance out of it. My scooter is around 40 pounds and even though in the water it is neutral, could you imagine trying to wear 130 doubles with a 60 pound scooter attached:shocked2: If you are into making a new scooter, come up with a battery system that is twice as small as the ones today with more power, now you have something.

What about a tank mounted, vectored thrust, electric diver mobility solution that could be controlled by a pod-mounted thumb joystick? No tying up both hands...no prop stream in your face...less steering effort...

Pulling a diver is more stable than pushing.....NASA HAS to push everything because of the massive fire at the business end of all their equipment.:toast:

Dive Xtras has a saddle which mounts on their scooters and allows a 'push' position.
So has Tusa (SAV-7).

I tried the Tusa oncem (Hawaii rental), it's a blast - much more streamlined than being pulled (especially since the Tusa is a two-hand pull, not tow-cord) - and the position allows for some nice acrobatics.

Or there's this: P3MARITIME - JetBoots.

At few years ago they were working on something similar for the rec. market.

As well as a product called Armjet - a wrist mounted version of the jetboots idea.

armjet_49926.jpg

Now www.jetboots.com links to P3maritime.

Pulling a diver is more stable than pushing.....NASA HAS to push everything because of the massive fire at the business end of all their equipment.:toast:

Actually, rockets push because that is the stable way to provide thrust. The fire has little to do with the placement. The early rockets all pulled, as bottle rockets do still to this day. It was a poor design choice that stemmed from the horse and buggy mindset. They eventually switched to aft thrust as a result of control problems that stemmed from the instability of pulling.

There are also significant drag benefits that can be realized by placing the prop in the back instead of the front. Think about this: How many submarines do you see out there with the prop in the front (and fire is of no consideration in this case)?

The pull scooter is a simple and low-tech way to get the job done. I have no doubts that (cost and logistical issues aside) having the DPV push you through the water could be vastly preferable to having it pull you through the water.

Back
Top Bottom