Diver missing off of No. Cal coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Update from the CG: http://www.uscgsanfrancisco.com/go/doc/823/151068/
Net: no news, but they have some serious assets on the search.

The missing diver is a very good friend of mine. He's young, VERY fit, a very skilled
and experienced diver (probably 150 dives a year California cold water, plus a tropical
or British Columbia trip or two).

The most likely scenario is that a current too strong to swim into carried him away
from his boat.

Does anyone know what kind of safety gear he usually brings with him on his diving?
My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. In the drysuit and undergarment he has a decent chance of survival...

Coast Guard Searches for Overdue Diver

McKinleyville, Calif. -- The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for an overdue diver that was on a round-trip from Eureka to Cape Mendocino yesterday.

35-year old Kawika Chetron, left alone on his 17-foot Boston Whaler at approximately 11:00 a.m. yesterday from Eureka to Blunts Reef just West of Cape Mendocino and was expected back yesterday evening. When he did not return a good samaritan notified the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard located his vessel just West of Cape Mendocino with no sign of Mr. Chetron on board or in the vicinity. The Coast Guard searched throughout the night, the entire following day and throughout the second night with a C-130 Hercules fixed-wing aircraft, 2 HH-65 Dolphin helicopters, an 87-foot coastal patrol boat, and a 47-foot motor life boat.

Mr. Chetron is reported to be an experienced diver with more than average boating experience. He was outfitted in a dry suit with an inner liner prolonging his chance of surviving the 55 degree water. The Coast Guard continues to search for Mr. Chetron.

I will continue to hold a good thought that he's managed to get out of the water somewhere.

I was stunned by his photographs and vivid writing on his website when I discovered it last year, and had a nice correspondence with him about it. He seemed like an extremely nice person. I sincerely hope this ends OK.

A lot of our local and not so local divers enjoy seeing the ocean thru his eyes...

Like Lynne said his photos and writing often express the underwater experience a lot more than I can ever do myself...

Please visit his website and check out his photos.... Hopefully he'll come back with a bunch more

Cold Water Images

His normal gear configuration includes a sausage (one of the big halcyon ones, I think),
HID light, focus light on the camera, two strobes on the camera, and two boat flares
in a flashlight case.

He's got more insulation than most in his suit, dry gloves, and one of the really thick
Otter Bay hoods.

And I'm truly impressed with the resources the CG has put on this. That big cutter is
based down in San Diego and can refuel the helos on scene.

And he is a really nice guy.

The bad news is that it's been almost 60 hours now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom