Diver Lost in San Juan Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sister said there are two versions of the story circulating at the hospital. One is that there were no indications whatsoever that the diver was in distress; the other is that he was found tangled in some kelp and fishing line. The two points she was certain about were that: a) he was diving alone (although there were people on the boat); and b) he was using some new equipment (not sure which equipment, exactly).

This is a rumor as far as I'm concerned until an official report becomes available: Somewhere (unfortunately I can't remember where) I read that he was a warm water diver new to a drysuit. He was said to have been found with the drysuit infator hose unconnected and a weight belt on with additional weights in his drysuit pocket.
The person that wrote or posted what I am recalling here said that he spoke with one of the rescue/recovery divers.

Please consider this account rumor as well, until/unless confirmed but seeing as this guy said he spoke directly with the rescue/recovery diver I thought it might be worth putting out here. Overweighting and not enough buoyancy may have been part of the problem. I'll try to google for the source of this account.

Always tragic....When the truth comes out about what happened, Im sure it will look nothing like what was "reported".
Sympathies to his family.

jim T.:
This is a rumor as far as I'm concerned until an official report becomes available: Somewhere (unfortunately I can't remember where) I read that he was a warm water diver new to a drysuit. He was said to have been found with the drysuit infator hose unconnected and a weight belt on with additional weights in his drysuit pocket.
The person that wrote or posted what I am recalling here said that he spoke with one of the rescue/recovery divers.

Please consider this account rumor as well, until/unless confirmed but seeing as this guy said he spoke directly with the rescue/recovery diver I thought it might be worth putting out here. Overweighting and not enough buoyancy may have been part of the problem. I'll try to google for the source of this account.

www.nwdiveclub.com

That's where I read the post with the details. Also an obituary in one of the posts.

Very sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom