Diver killed by dynamite fishing - Vietnam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up in the south-still live here. I have never heard of a case of this happening. Not saying it doesn't, just that it is more likely to happen on a TV show about the south then it is to actually happen.

:lotsalove:

You never heard about ol Billy Bob. Him and the game warden BK went through elementary, Jr High and High School together. They were old friends.

BK the game warden had heard complaints about Billy Bob fishing with dynamite. One day BK asked Billy Bob if he wanted to go fishing, Billy Bob said sure.

They were out on the lake in the johnboat when BK noticed Billy Bob didn't have a rod. He asked Billy Bob where his rod was. Billy Bob reached into his tackle box, pulled out a stick of dynamite, lit it and handed it to the warden. "BK, you gonna fish or BS all day"

It nearly happened to me and a dive buddy a few years ago, we were going to surface after a wall dive and were just a couple of meters below the wall top in about 20 feet of water when BOOM and lots of rubble etc flew over our heads! lucky for us we were below the wall top or we could have been injured or killed!
This stupid practice still goes on in some areas of the Philippines but nor really so much now as even the local fishermen have begun to realize that no coral means no fish!

So, is dynamite easy to come by? And it must be cheap, too, huh?

So, is dynamite easy to come by? And it must be cheap, too, huh?

I was told in Indonesia that it would better be described as molatov cocktail fishing ... and when we were in Komodo there was lots of evidence of it going on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have seen some seized explosive devices used for "fishing". They were made out of metal tubing with the ends closed in a vice and folded over with green waterproof hobby fuse. They had blackpowder in them and were sealed with silicon. Very dangerous to make as the crimping could cause black powder to explode. I have also seen PVC pipe bonds as well as chemical bombs in plastic drink bottles weighted down with cinderblocks. I can catch more fish without a bomb legally and don't have to worry about going to jail or killing myself.

:bomb:
I've heard of a number of people in the US doing this with dynamite or occaisionally, hand grenades :D

Usually in the south. :)

:bomb::bomb: Be careful now. I might have to send some good ole boys up to your next dive site to play the theme from Deliverance. :wink:

:bomb:

:bomb::bomb: Be careful now. I might have to send some good ole boys up to your next dive site to play the theme from Deliverance. :wink:

Have you seen the bumper sticker/T-shirt "Paddle Faster, I Hear Banjos":D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom