Diver killed by dynamite fishing - Vietnam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phishie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is using explosives to fish legal anywhere?!? I thought this was a big no-no.

Illegal doesn't stop people from doing it ... especially subsistence fishermen trying to feed their families.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've heard of a number of people in the US doing this with dynamite or occaisionally, hand grenades :D

Usually in the south. :)

CDNN :: Dynamite Fishermen Accidentally Kill Diver

I didn't see this anywhere else so sorry if double post.

I'm guessing the only thing you can do about something like this is have a diving flag bouy?

If you guys notice the "source" for this story is CDNN. They are known to put out fake stories about diving.

I wouldn't trust them as a reliable source.

even if this is true, I bet this is a plaguerized copy from another news source. CDNN is famous for doing that.

Its true and it happens all the time in southeast asia,, its the easiest way for fishermen to get tons of fish.
Cyanide is also used to stun fish, and kills the coral as well.,
Mostly its not divers thou, usually they are breathhold divers.

Hrm...I can find it on a few other sites, but they all list CDNN as the source.

I don't know about this story, but dynamite fishing happens alot, I used to guide in Malaysia and I would say I used to hear it at least once a week.

Just once, we felt the end of the pressure wave (or it was a freaky underwater sideways "push"), and that scared the hell out of me based on how much closer it was than I had assumed.

However, not sure exactly what type of large fish would send that amount of bubbles to the surface, but dive flags are really won't help (in my opinion) because they are using an illegal practice, out of small boats, so highly unlikely that they would have been taught what that flag meant.

Even if they have, I doubt they would have worked out just how far they can safely be from the flag not to cause injury/death from the effects of the pressure wave as some the the explosives they use are home made.

I've heard of a number of people in the US doing this with dynamite or occaisionally, hand grenades :D

Usually in the south. :)

I grew up in the south-still live here. I have never heard of a case of this happening. Not saying it doesn't, just that it is more likely to happen on a TV show about the south then it is to actually happen.

:lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom