Diver Injured by Propeller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, that too. And I've seen extraordinary measures taken to open a tagged & locked valve before... ("Gee, sir, I figured it was finished/left over/a mistake/forgotten from yesterday/got the date mixed up" etc ad nauseum)
But, this one sounds like a private yacht, and my bet is that the "norm" is a simple tag-out.
Either this boat wasn't tagged out, in which case the diver is largely responsibile for his own injury, or it was tagged out, in which case the tag-out was ignored.
I think it's about a 50/50 chance at this time, so I ain't willing to cast stones at either the diver or the boat owner ... yet...
:)
Rick

"Private yacht?!?" Try Gloucester fishing boat. I seriously doubt the vessel is equipped for lock out.

"Private yacht?!?" Try Gloucester fishing boat. I seriously doubt the vessel is equipped for lock out.
When I had a fishing boat that was my yacht!
:D
Rick

Every boat is "equipped for lock-out." You may have to go so far as to hide a battery cable or two and chain the controls, but if you want to safe a boat you can do it.
Rick

I can't comprehend how a diver was cleaning a prop w/o someone topside knowing what was going on. I make sure someone is on deck with MY best interests in the front of their brain. I verbalize "Nobody starts anything" everytime. An air compressor kicking on scares me.

Sad and preventable, best wishes to the diver and his family, hopefully it's transient and not permanent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom