Diver in California Sues for Being Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
NO the dive boat left the dive site without him. Did he make mistakes yes he should not have gone back down to look for the group, did the group/buddy make a mistake yes he/they should have surfaced with him. Should he have a signaling device yes he MIGHT have been seen. But the bottom line is the dive boat left the site NOT KNOWING there was a diver still in the water no excuse for this.

Hi,

In all incidents and accidents, there is a chain of events that can be constructed that led to the end result, wherein changing any of the links (different decisions, different equipment, different circumstance, different luck) would have avoided the end result.

As noted here, there are several such links that were in the control of one or another person as decision points (and perhaps equipment, as noted above regarding signalling devices; and certainly luck, as exemplified by the boy scout rescue!).

Training and discipline strive to improve the number of good decisions that tend to break the chain of events that too often lead to tragedy.

Diver decisions when faced with equalization problems, buddy decisions when contact is lost, and boat roll calls all are key decision and action points in what is an all too likely set of events (probablity is really pretty low, but high enough to have caused risk mitigation procedures to be documented in most all basic training curricula).

At each decision point, a poor decision was made, moving you one step closer to a bad end. Remember that when you think that it is just a small risk to not follow a well-documented procedure ... you may be just fine, or you may be taking one step closer to a tragedy! Typically, each event in the chain becomes more critical (though that is sometimes not obvious from the middle of the chain).

Each decision carries a risk mitigation weight also (some are much more important than others). The boat roll call is a tier-1 risk mitigation: by the time you get to that safety procedure, if it is in fact needed, that is most likely because you are already well on the road towards a tragedy ... this is one of the last links in an accident chain, and one of the last opportunities to avert it.

As such, the failure to conduct a 100% effective and complete boat roll call every time there is occupancy change on the vessel represents an egregious failure of judgment on the part of the operator.

A diver is responsible for himself; a buddy is responsible for himself and his partner; the DMs / dive leaders are responsible for the divers; the captain is responsible for every soul on his vessel (and for not endangering others in the area, for that matter, and for following all laws and regulations applicable for activities engaged in). Each link in that chain of responsibiltiy carries more weight in the incident event chain decision making process.

In my opinion, the boat captain should have license revoked permanently, and the senior DM should have certification revoked. Some mistakes you only get to make once, period.

Succesful punative monetary judgment in civil litigation would be appropriate (very effective deterent for others who don't take their responsibilities seriously).

Lawyers come in all flavors (just like the rest of we poor mortal souls): the blood-sucking leeches that abuse the system; and the champions of victims who ensure sufficient redress to help the victims, and sufficient punishment to deter others from acting badly in future ... and all shades of grey in between.

I fear it is always hard to make and keep the right balance between those extremes, and you can't have enough of one with out some of the other. Sigh. Real life is so complicated ...

Cheers,
Walter

pilot fish:
Cost is always factored in, that's a given. If the plaintiff will accept 50,000/100,000 it might settle rather than defense take a chance with a jury, and cost of trial. But if plaintiff gets greedy and holds fast to a million or more demand then I see it going to trial. Defense might even get a summary judgment.

We live in an age where a commercial during a prime time sports event can run $500,000 for 30 seconds.

This is an open and shut case IMO. There are NO factors that excust the dive op. They left the guy, end of story. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

I disagree with your assessment in this case. The insurance agency will settle for a LOT more than $100,000 to avoid the whole process that a trial would bring.

Ron

RonFrank:
And most others the Captain IS responsible. If for no other reason then, it's HIS JOB.

Before you go off on one of your rants PilotFish, get the facts. The boat did NOT account for this diver. He was LEFT. The reality is that the Captain admitted to the problem, and felt very bad based on first hand accounts I read.

While IMO filing a lawsuit is a bit absurd for the stress that 4 hours of being at sea wondering if you are going to survive would create, the guy is going to win, or settle out of court, and bank some cash.

The facts are 1) He entereed the water under the eye of the crew, but they had no idea he was NOT on board at the end of the dive 2) The dive OP was NOT aware he was missing until the went to a second dive site 3) If another boat had not seen him, he'd likely be dead.

This trial will never see a courtroom. I'm betting that the people named in the suit includes the insurance company that insures the dive OP. EVERYONE must be named in a lawsuit when filing, but you can BET even if this is against the Dive OP, the REAL players are the big guys insuring the Dive OP. In fact I'd bet that if the Dive OP was NOT insured, unless they are bigtime $$$, no lawyer would touch this case as there is little $$$ in it for them if there can't go after someone big.

Ron

Ron, please don't classify my positon as a "rant." That is not the way to have a friendly discussion. You may indeed be right but I have a different opinion.

RonFrank:
We live in an age where a commercial during a prime time sports event can run $500,000 for 30 seconds.

This is an open and shut case IMO. There are NO factors that excust the dive op. They left the guy, end of story. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

I disagree with your assessment in this case. The insurance agency will settle for a LOT more than $100,000 to avoid the whole process that a trial would bring.

Ron

You may well be right but it could be that since he assumed risk and some of his actions/decisions helped him get into more serious trouble, a jury may find him 50% at fault and the Dive Op 50% at fault?

I'm sure everyone here has an opinion on the subject.

There is one thing that needs to be considered.

There is a strong probability that a contract was entered into by both parties, the diver and the agency providing the service to provide support to enable the diver to dive. I've never gone on a chartered dive without signing some type of agreement.

We should know the particulars of the instrument before assigning fault or percentage of fault.

One thing is obvious, however, the diver is not in control of the vessel and therefore has no control over its operation; in this the diver is completely without fault.

CHUD:
There is a very vocal group of divers out here in SoCal (including a prominent LDS owner) who mock this guy mercilessly (they call him "Drifting Dan") and who swear up and down that the entire incident was the diver's fault. Granted, he didn't surface immediately on having equalizing issues and drifting away from the oil rigs at depth, but I don't think that excuses the dive operation at all for checking him in when he was still in the water and then moving the boat and checking him OUT at the next dive site! But this vocal group refuse to acknowledge that and insist he is completely to blame. Unbelievable.
I think you need to proofread all the posts on the California boards. Nobody is saying he is completely to blame. Most are saying that he caused the situation, but the DM is mainly at fault. The point that irks me the most is the fact that when he finally surfaced after 10-20 minutes alone he could see the boat and rigs. Rather than swimming to the boat, he decided to inflate his BC and hope the boat would come for him. With other divers still in the water, the boat would have to leave the area to look for Dan down current. I was in a similar situation once at the same rigs. I was the last diver in the water. When I surfaced at the agreed location the boat was gone. I saw the stern of a boat a mile or so away heading back to the harbor. Knowing that there were a few men working the rigs, I began climbing the ladder so I could call the boat on the VHF. Before I reached the top of the ladder I heard the DM calling me. One diver failed to follow procedures and surfaced downcurrent from the rigs. They had to leave me to go pick her up. Was I mad? NO. Did I get cancer? NO. Did I consider suing? NO. The DM and I swam to the boat and we headed for our next dive site. The only thing that went wrong that day was a diver who couldn't follow simple instructions.
Everyone agrees that the DM screwed up big time and the captain is ultimately responsible for the actions on his boat, but believing that Dan didn't instigate this incident at all and then try to blame everyone else is rediculous. The only sad part about this is the fact that nothing happened to the DM. He should be held responsible for his actions. The captain has already served a suspension of his ticket over this. Dan has made the media rounds blaming everyone but himself and now wants to hit the jackpot. I'd love to sit on that jury, if it gets that far.

Legal issues aside...I think common sense would tell any diver that he/she is getting a round trip on the boat when signing up for a charter. I've never signed up for a charter and been asked by the divemaster if I want a one-way ticket. Whatever bad choices the diver made by disregarding the buddy system, ignoring the current, blah, blah, the fact is that the boat left that dive site w/o properly accounting for all divers. Common sense says that's mistake the charter captain/divemaster is going to pay for(maybe not $4mil, but you always ask for more than you think you can get).

On the last charter I took in October, the captain checked all our c-cards, lobster licenses and asked about our dive experience before we even got on the boat or signed the mandatory waiver. Once on the boat, the captain marked on a dry erase board the names of the divers, the dive sites and the times we entered and exited the water. His attention to detail instilled a lot of confidence and made me a return customer.

LobstaMan

The Kraken:
I'm sure everyone here has an opinion on the subject.

There is one thing that needs to be considered.

There is a strong probability that a contract was entered into by both parties, the diver and the agency providing the service to provide support to enable the diver to dive. I've never gone on a chartered dive without signing some type of agreement.

We should know the particulars of the instrument before assigning fault or percentage of fault.

One thing is obvious, however, the diver is not in control of the vessel and therefore has no control over its operation; in this the diver is completely without fault.

What about the wavier of liability we all sign before we dive? Assumed risk? We are knowingly assuming some risk by diving. There is a case for the diver being partially liable. I do, however, think it is reasonable to assume you will be picked up after the dive, but if you, the diver, violated basic diving rules and contributed to your situation, that can be a determining factor. The diver may even have a case against the other two divers that did not stay with him till he cleared? The boat owner could turn around and bring the other two divers into the case to share in liability. Plantiff will turn to the deepest pocket and move against them.

RonFrank:
I'm betting that the people named in the suit includes the insurance company that insures the dive OP. EVERYONE must be named in a lawsuit when filing, but you can BET even if this is against the Dive OP, the REAL players are the big guys insuring the Dive OP. In fact I'd bet that if the Dive OP was NOT insured, unless they are bigtime $$$, no lawyer would touch this case as there is little $$$ in it for them if there can't go after someone big.

Ron

I am not so sure that the ins. co. would be a named party...The insurance company merely assumes the liability...It is the parties that go through trial...

I've been a named party in a lawsuit involving a car accident, and my ins. provided the settlement...but the ins. co. was not named. They were bound to my through my policy.

And you may be right. But don't kid yourself, this is about money when it goes to court.

Ron

scubasean:
I am not so sure that the ins. co. would be a named party...The insurance company merely assumes the liability...It is the parties that go through trial...

I've been a named party in a lawsuit involving a car accident, and my ins. provided the settlement...but the ins. co. was not named. They were bound to my through my policy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom