Diver image. Do you even think about it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing I look like a train wreck. I don't really notice. I guess if someone wants to take the time to video me underwater, I'll take the time to watch the video, but I'm guessing it would be boring, I don't move much.

I might look like a funny penguin when I am on land, and when I am walking the beach headed for the water, I focus on my walk (to reduce my chance to falling over) and my dive partner. Sure I have heard giggles of beach combers laughing at my approach, but after the dice when I come out I often get approached or at least asked how was it, sometimes even with seaweed in my hair and snot on my face.

They know we are the astronauts that get to see what they most likely never will. I want to take as many people into the wondrous world that is just below the surface. I will continue to focus on my partner and my safety and skills that we need underwater, and continue to use my used scuba gear till I no longer trust it and need something better.

Me and my buddy, Wayne in August of 1965. Don't we look cool? Still trying!

Attachments

• Scuba Diving - Willow Grove - 1965 - 8.jpg
    Scuba Diving - Willow Grove - 1965 - 8.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 367
Any diver that says they are not concerned about their image is probably fooling themselves. What matters is To Thine Ownself Be True.

"image" is not the same as "style" or "fashion". Image is what a diver hopes he or she projects. I equate this to the compliment "squared away Marine" which is a statement of both appearance and competence.

Some people take pride in the beat up equipment, minimalist approach, latest gagetry because of the image they think it projects. Scuba diving is one of the few sports where gear can be a vehicle for self expression.

But image is a matter of perception. Remember, image is determined by the receptor, not by the originator. We need not be worried about what other beach goers think about my appearance, I really don't care what uninformed people think. But, as I am fond of saying, "there is nothing so hard on a scuba divers gear as another scuba diver."

I don't worry about image at all. When assisting with an OW course I use mostly shop equipment, so I look like everybody else. When shore diving I'm almost always solo anyway, especially when home in NS as I'm usually the only one there. On the very rare charters I take, I don't care what others think of my ratty 10+ years old BCD (but I do hope to replace it fairly soon). I never seem to have the dangling snot problem for some reason.

Of course we think about image. Why else would Waterproof design such slick looking wesuits?

Reactions: RJP
No.....

Jim....

As long as I look like a "Special OPS Ninja Underwater Astronaut" Im happy.

Still working on it...

I

Interesting... a quick click on your profile reveals that brands are actually fairly important to you. You even mention one of them three times for emphasis. And I suppose we can assume by the plural "wetsuits" that you are also a Pinnacle brand-loyalist as well?

GEAR: "Zeagle, Zeagle, Zeagle...oh, and an Oceanic VT3 computer, and Pinnacle wetsuits."

PS - Do note that here on ScubaBoard Zeagle is definitely considered "cool" and is one of "the right brands" to say that you dive.

I've always considered Zeagle to be the most popular brand on Craig's List ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added March 18th, 2015 at 12:12 PM ----------

Scuba gear is made to be worn and used on and under the water. On land it is heavy and awkward. It's hard to look graceful wearing 100lb of gear on a hot summer day walking 100 yards down to the water when you're 60 years old. One tends to slump, sweat, and drag feet. My only concern is getting to the water.

Image is in the eye of the beholder ... and often based on misimpressions or outright ignorance. This past Sunday I was solo diving at a popular dive site, using my sidemount gear. After the second dive I decided to take my tanks up to the parking area, rather than drop them at the water's edge as I usually do. After scrambling up a hill in double 100's, 16 lbs of lead, and a camera rig that weighs about 20 lbs, I got to where I could drop my fins, lay down my camera, and start unbuckling the tanks. This well-meaning guy comes over and says "My GOSH that's a lot of gear, let me help you with that" ... and without so much as a by your leave he starts reaching for clips. I backed away and said "I've got it, thanks". He comes back with "That looks awfully awkward, here let me help you out of it". I came back with "As a solo diver, I really need to do this myself ... thanks". He insisted, coming back with "I know you eventually have to learn how to do it, but let me help." To which I replied "I learned how to do it five years ago ... I just need to be able to do it one step at a time. ... THANKS!"

The image he had of me was some old guy struggling with way too much gear. The image I had of him was a busybody who needed to take a hint and mind his own damn business. Probably neither one of us had a correct image of the other.

Images are like that ... they're usually worthless ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom