Diver from Georgia dies in Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of us from our group going to Little Cayman were with some of the GA group on the flight back home after this accident. Both groups went down on Oct 11 for a week. Our group got to stay in Little Cayman, and I heard from one of the GA group, they went to Cayman Brac due to accomodation issues related to hurricane Gustov.

We both dove with Reef Divers during the week(us on LC they on Brac). There was a noticeable "tightening" of the rules regarding buddies that happened during our third dive on Sunday (the one that would have followed this accident). It wasnt until this article came out in the Wednesday Caymanian Compass that we knew about the accident over on the Brac. There was a followup article in the Saturday paper that gave the age of the diver at 53 but still did not list a cause of death.

We discussed the accident with some of the GA group that flew back with us and they indicated that this man had told a nurse in their group that he had diabetes. They had noticed he was sweating alot even on the plane, and then on the boat going out. The rest of the info is in the article. Sad story. If the personnel at Reef Divers in Brac were as attentive and careful as they were for us on LC, then I am sure all that could be done, was done.

Just another reason for all of us to make sure we are in our best physical health before attempting our sport. I have read about the importance of this on this forum many times before, but it has never hit home as much as it did last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom