Diver fatality Okinawa, Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Condolences to his family & friends.

“...Morgan and a Chinese diver surfaced behind two other divers. Morgan and his dive buddy prepared to exit the water when their boat captain noticed Morgan drifting away and wondered what was wrong, Inamine said. Then, the captain told authorities, Morgan sank with his gear on...”

This reminds me to inflate my BCD while floating at the surface.

Knee jerk overreaction from installation commanders on Okinawa in 3...2...1...

Matt was a great dive buddy and dude. I was definitely caught off guard when I was told as we dove together on a few occasions and he was a solid diver. It's the middle of the night over there right now but I'm hoping some more information will come out on the incident.

Agreed, always do.

Another thing to consider is when you are motionless (like when you are unconscious), floating on the surface, would the natural buoyancy of your BCD be forcing your face down into the water? Would you be constantly fining or pushing your back down to the water in order to keep your face up? Mine did that, so I strap the tank slightly down, distribute some dive weight (4 pounds/ 2 kg) on my shoulder blade weight pockets of the BCD. Having jacket type BCD also helps to function the BCD more like a life jacket.

Another thing to consider is when you are motionless (like when you are unconscious), floating on the surface, would the natural buoyancy of your BCD be forcing your face down into the water? Would you be constantly fining or pushing your back down to the water in order to keep your face up? Mine did that, so I strap the tank slightly down, distribute some dive weight (4 pounds/ 2 kg) on my shoulder blade weight pockets of the BCD. Having jacket type BCD also helps to function the BCD more like a life jacket.

Yeah that's the ONLY thing I don't like about sidemount, having tanks in line with your body is amazing for perfect balance at any angle and any attitude in the water, just the most incredible feeling, but then you blow up the balloon on your back at the surface...

Yep, it pitches you forward alright, tho the 8kg or so on the plate help. You quickly get into the habit of leaning back just the right amount but I still avoid inflating it more than the bare minimum.

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom