Diver Fatality At Stoney Cove, UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shafan1234

Registered
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/5162802.stm

Diver dies after centre accident
One man has died and several people have been injured after an incident at the National Diving Centre.

Police said they were called to the incident at the centre at Stoney Cove, Leicestershire, by the ambulance service on Sunday morning.

It is believed up to four people are ill after suffering from the bends. Their injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

They have been taken to a hospital in Merseyside for treatment.

Police said a RAF helicopter was scrambled to rescue the injured divers.

An investigation into the incident is being carried out at the scene.

The centre near Hinckley boasts 13 acres of sheltered water with depths of up to 36 metres and is used by 60,000 divers a year.

How could they all get the DCI? The only thing I can imagine is if they reached the deco limit, then deceased diver suffered from the stroke and the rest helped carry him to the surface. Was it this what actually happened?

mislav:
How could they all get the DCI? The only thing I can imagine is if they reached the deco limit, then deceased diver suffered from the stroke and the rest helped carry him to the surface. Was it this what actually happened?

I expect this was a result of a rocket ascent from 20 meters - Might be a precautionary chamber treatment though..

I guess we'll have more details as the coroner gets to work. From what I could find on the web, there were two instructors, two students and a rescue diver doing the deep dive (of the advanced course presumably) but I could see no reference to which one of them got in trouble.

I came here this morning with the intention of posting about this. I live ten minutes away from Stoney and heard about this on the radio this morning.

From the BBC
"The four divers in the group ascended faster than normal and as a result have been taken to a recompression chamber for treatment."

Sounds like the four were taken to recompression as a precautionary measure. At least I hope so, one casualty is too many.

My thoughts are with the family of the deceased.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom