Diver dies in the Straits of Mackinac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A diver died yesterday (Sunday, Aug 12) after surfacing from the Cedarville wreck in the Straits of Mackinac.

http://www.minews26.com/content/deputies-investigating-death-of-diver-in-straits-of-mackinac

A man is dead after a diving accident around a shipwreck in the Straits of Mackinac.

At around 12:42 Sunday afternoon, deputies learned that a diver was being transported to the Mackinac Straits Hospital.

An investigation showed the man was with another diver and a third person who captained the boat.

According to deputies, the two divers made two trips down to the Cedarville and rose in tandem.

On the second dive, both divers had surfaced when one diver noticed the other struggling and helped him into the boat.

The man was then taken to St. Ignace, where he was pronounced dead.

At this time, investigators say are not sure what caused the death and will conduct an autopsy as well as inspect the dive equipment.

Details on the Cedarville wreck.

Cedarville | Straits of Mackinac Shipwreck Preserve

It can be a challenging dive with the currents in the Straits. 10 people crew died when the Cedarville sank after a collision in 1965, but more than 10 divers have died on her over the years.

A scary account of a diver trapped inside after getting lost inside the Cedarville in 2000 (was rescued).

Wreck Dive Rescue: Trapped Inside the Cedarville

Last edited:
Uggh - thinking of all those involved. Was up there the week before this, did not dive the Cedarville as it was too rough the day we planned to do it, dove the Barnum instead.

Tough conditions, warm weather topside and 42F water below roughly 45'.

I did two dives on the Cedarville the day before and was on the Eber Ward at the same time this group was diving on the Cedarville.

For those who are speculating on conditions and current, the conditions were near perfect on the Cedarville the day before, surface temp in the 70's, bottom temp low 40s. Zero current, 40-60ft viz.

Sunday on the Ward conditions were so flat, the boat wasn't even pulling mooring line tight, even though it is on the other side of the bridge, I would guess that the conditions on the Cedarville on Sunday were equally as awesome.

I have heard a bunch of different things about this already, all being speculation, but the one thing that never came up was weather or conditions on the surface or on the wreck.

Only time will tell, once more info is released. Sorry to see yet another diver pass away on the Cedarville.

My take on rough conditions was air temp was mid 80's and it was hot as heck geared up waiting on other divers, water was a little choppy and it just wasn't happy time waiting in the water either - in no way implying conditions while I was there had anything to do with this sad situation.

Again all thoughts and prayers to all involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom