Diver Dies in the Galapagos on Peter Hughes boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steveleila@ntlworld.com[/email]

Steve, I am very sorry about Donna's death.

I would like to make two brief comments if I could.

First, I would urge you to make sure that Donna's friends and family members gather as much accurate information about the incident as they can. I can assure you that PADI is NOT likely to share information it has about incidents until it is forced to do so.

Second, I did not read Jorge's post as impugning Donna.

My sympathies are with Donna's loved ones and friends.

I have to agree with OpenmindOW....Jorge did not disparage anyones reputation or memory.....He simply stated the facts as they were relayed to him......Having dove the area in very windy conditions, even the most immune to seasickness succumbed while I was there. Who knows (if indeed Jorge's facts are correct) the cause of her vomiting. Suffice to say that it is tragic when anyone passes away for any reason while diving, regardless of skill etc.....

Hello Everyone,

I understand that, at this difficult moment, my words could have been perceived as hurtful. Please have my appologies if that was perceived, it was never my intention to make that arrise. All my respect and consideration to Donna's memory and to her family and friends. Steveleila please let them know about this.

On the other hand, I just provided facts that can be important in case of an accident analysis. Pre dive conditions such as physical or emotional stress (eg. dishidratation and DCI) are, in fact, important bits of information. The proper management of conditions is actually a way to prevent further consequences.

I understand that the intention of this thread is to learn what went wrong and how to avoid such great losses for more divers and their families; again, I am very sorry if my post was received in a bad way.

Regards,

Jorge

All my respect and appreciation for Donnas loss.

Hello, sorry for my English. I was in the boat with Donna. I am very sad for her
family. I can give more indication of the accident…

First hand information would, i am sure, be greatly appreciated. Thank you for commenting. If this could happen to a diver of Donna's skill level, it could happen to anyone. Any information that might help us to learn from this tragedy and prevent future tragedies would be appreciated.

Didilaforce, thank you for your post. I woudl urge you to write down what you are 100% certian that you remember about the incident and the events leading up to the incident. Do this NOW. As time lapses, your memory may change. Only write down what you are certain of. Keep a copy for yourself and share a copy with the authorities. (BTW, PADI is NOT a governmental authority.)

I would urge you to consider giving a copy to Donna's family or friends.

I feel I learned something valuable from this tragic accident regarding
nausea under water. I had one dive where I felt fine at the beginning
of the dive, but because I drank coffee, I started feeling nauseated
the last 15 minutes of the dive. After I surfaced I said I wasn't feeling
so good and completely lost it. Vomiting is usually strong enough
to cause an involuntary and immediate response to inhale afterwards. I
think it is important to keep it in mind that if you are feeling nauseated
underwater that you have your hand on your reg ready to press the
Purge button.

It really grieves me to hear of the loss of this woman. It is not
the way I would have wanted to learn this lesson.

Let us keep in mind that there is a condolence thread, and this is not it. The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss, speculate, brainstorm, hypothesize, argue, whatever, concerning accidents and (hopefully) through that process save lives in the future. One of the reasons for the separation into a condolence thread and this accident and incident thread is to spare anyone who might be upset by a sometimes graphic, sometimes wide-ranging, sometimes speculative discussion. If you don't want to read opinions that will cast doubts on the capabilities and actions of victim and accompanying divers alike, stay out of this thread. I don't mean to be harsh, but I really don't know anyway to explain this except bluntly.

It is also important for everyone to realize that anything that is sent to an agency in the way of a report will never be seen by any of us here, it will be used (and twisted) solely for the legal defense of the agency and the agency affiliated facilities and individuals. This is often at cross purposes to the best interests of the diver's reputation and the surviving family.

News Article on Accident.

I would like to know what type of regulator she was using and if she possibly had some sort of medical issue that could have been part of the cause. I can not believe someone with her training and experience would suffer a fatal incident unless equipment or a medical condition was a contributing factor. Faulty regulators have been know to cause Salt Water Aspiration Syndrome, especially Poseidons.

Salt Water Aspiration Syndrome | LIVESTRONG.COM
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/di...e-symptoms-after-dive-poseidon-regulator.html

Then again, some people leave us prematurely for unknown reasons.............to us. My condolences to her family and friends. She seemed like a real trooper and well liked.
These links are not really germane, as far as I can see they add nothing to our understanding of the incident. Salt Water Aspiration Syndrome, whatever the cause, is a phenomena that shows up some hours after the dive, it does not result in diving fatalities.

Last edited:
These links are not really germane, as far as I can see they add nothing to our understanding of the incident. Salt Water Aspiration Syndrome, whatever the cause, is a phenomena that shows up some hours after the dive, it does not result in diving fatalities.

It has been reported here on this site, where by the symptoms can get worse and worse over time in cases where a diver is doing daily repetitive dives,just like Donna was. I'm not saying this is the cause, but it is not impossible. Such as if a wave of symptoms hit her while underwater.

Symptoms include:
"Salt water aspiration syndrome is not a condition that makes itself known immediately.... A persistent cough may develop. Nausea and vomiting are also possible. In rare instances, salt water aspiration syndrome can later lead to adult respiratory distress syndrome, which can lead to respiratory failure."

It us definitely germane to this thread and Salt Water Aspiration Syndrome should not be discounted as a possible contributing factor, as in dismissed out of hand.

In the face of no evidence what-so-ever except a report that the victim had aspirated vomit, l find your conclusions somewhat premature. There are many much more likely causes of nausea. Without a report that her regulator was defective I'd discount it almost entirely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom