Diver dies in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that the certifying instructor / dive shop should be questioned in detail.

They will be questioned in a manner that is standard in such situations. Mostly it will be an administrative check to ensure that the student (information) folders were filled out correctly and that the medical questionaire and liability release were also filled out correctly.

As far as instituting any kind of Spanish Inquisition on the store or the instructor: It just won't happen. Neither the store nor the instructor will have much to say about the divers as individuals.
  1. Most major stores certify hundreds of divers per year. They simply aren't expected to remember individuals.
  2. Same with most working instructors. They certify dozens of students per year. Unless the students STAYED in the sport and made dives with their instructor (which these students apparently did not) after certification, the most the instructor will be able to say is something to the tune of: "They fulfilled all the requirements as stated in the PADI/NAUI/SSI/YMCA standards. Check the student folder to verify this." And that's legitimate.

Any armchair quarterback who would expect much more doesn't understand the reality of such a situation. That's why instructors and stores KEEP student records. They can't be expected to remember individual details of all the students who pass by their doors.

Bill

I have frequently heard dive shops boast they "Have never failed anyone" personally I would rather hear the boast that they "Only pass those who deserve it".

Mike

Last edited:
I have frequently heard dive shops boast they "Have never failed anyone".

I here ya, Mike. I have a friend in Qatar right now who was offered a DM cert (by a major org shop) for 400 dollars U.S. No training, just the cert.

On the other side though, I don't think any shop would want to be placed in the position of having to say they "failed" anyone. Closer to the reality (what I personally witness) is something along the lines of: "The student and the shop mutually agree that scuba training isn't in the student's best interest at the present time". Says the same thing without appending the label of "failure" on the student.

As for me personally, it's almost always the student's decision to leave the course. It's my job to ask them probing questions, get them to understand the realities and safety factors in diving, and come to their own realization that perhaps scuba diving isn't for them. It doesn't happen often, but every once in awhile.

Kinder and gentler method, I suppose. Same results.

Cheers,

Bill

More than a little sad and sobering:

Michael Stetz: One final journey for father and son
By Michael Stetz (Contact) Union-Tribune Columnist
2:00 a.m. January 25, 2009
He followed his father. Because that's what sons do.
He followed his father 150 feet down into the Pacific Ocean, a dangerous, alarming descent for new divers.
Josh Sonsteng said he had no choice. Why? That's unconditional trust. He's my father.
So down, down, down, he went with his father.
I'm a father, and I can't think of a more harrowing experience than what happened to John and Josh Sonsteng on Oct. 4.
Father and son were diving for the first time since earning their certification. They planned to get some experience before entering an underwater pumpkin-carving contest before Halloween. His dad wanted to do that, Josh said.
They had tried to go diving the week before, but they had the wrong masks and not enough weights to help them sink, so they'd given up. Going home, John joked to his 19-year-old son, Hey, we're both still alive.
They went again the next week.
It was a beautiful, clear morning, Josh recalled recently in his first interview since the dive. John seemed particularly happy. His favorite song, Don't Stop Believin' by Journey, came on the radio as they drove from their Poway home, and he sang along.
Hitting La Jolla Shores around 7 a.m., they put on their gear. John told his son to stick by him, saying, Stay to my left. And they plunged into the chilly Pacific. They had enough oxygen for a 45-minute dive.
As they set out, John was loving the exploring, pointing out sea life to Josh in the clear water. But a 60-foot dive is about the limit for novices like them, and John was going deeper, much deeper . . . .
Josh thought they were pushing it. He was thinking of his air supply, but he kept by his father's side.
Because fathers know best. That's what sons are told. That's how sons are raised. It's how I was.
So of course Josh followed.
I would have.
It was his dad's idea to learn to dive. The year before, the whole Sonsteng family had trained. John thought it would be a fun way to bond with his wife, Debbie, daughter, Jodi, and son. But Debbie and Jodi didn't want to go diving that day.
So it was father and son.
It could have been one of those sweet experiences they would look back on and smile.
Debbie was worried, though. She described her husband, a 45-year-old accountant, as something of a risk-taker.
The night before the dive, he had boasted to her that he was going to go down to 130 feet even though he was certified to go less than half that.
John went 20 feet farther than his goal, and Josh went with him. He kept his breathing slow and steady, as trained. Still, he worried. At that depth, when you breathe from tanks, one can get giddy, drunklike.
Down far below now, his dad abruptly made a move upward. Josh figures it was then his dad realized his air supply was almost empty. A panicked thought came to the teen's mind: He's leaving me, and I'm going to die.
Josh rushed after him. The two began to kick toward the surface, face to face now. John reached for Josh's secondary regulator a device attached to the tank for emergencies to get air from his son.
Josh reached for his dad's secondary regulator as well, to help with his own breathing, but he got mostly water.
He switched back to his main breathing device, glanced at his gauge and saw it was near empty.
And then Josh, caught in that moment of dread, reacted.
He pushed his dad down and away from him. During our talk in his living room, he thrust his arm out in a re-creation. It was involuntary, he said, a reflex born of panic.
He looked at his dad's face.
I saw the terror in his eyes.
And then John Sonsteng was gone.
As he drifted away, his son, now alone in the water, figured he was doomed. Josh was still down 60 or 70 feet. He used the little bit of air left in his tank to inflate his wet suit, for buoyancy.
And he kicked hard.
Here, Josh doesn't remember much. He thinks he screamed and yelled as he fought to the surface. He has no idea how long he struggled maybe two minutes, maybe a little more.
He remembers seeing everything go a bright, blinding white. It felt like my life force was draining.
And then, at last, he broke the surface, gulping for air. He saw the nearby pier and the beach. He was in disbelief, shock.
He had made it.
He was alive.
He immediately looked for his dad . . . .
I waited for five to 10 minutes, looking for him. I knew he wasn't going to come.
Because he had ascended so quickly, Josh had to go into a decompression chamber to make sure he didn't suffer from gas bubbles in his tissues or bloodstream.
Rescuers found John's body later that afternoon.
Josh hasn't gone to therapy. He's had no nightmares. His life is returning to normal. He even wants to dive again someday.
Sitting across from him as he told the story, I couldn't help but feel for this young man whose duty to his father was surpassed only by his survival instinct.
Josh said he doesn't blame his dad. The dive was something he wanted to do, and I was being there for him.

---------------------------------------------

Of course this contains the usual inaccuracies, we don't use oxygen, and don't inflate our wetsuits, but I thought everybody would like to know.

More than a little sad and sobering:

Michael Stetz: One final journey for father and son
By Michael Stetz (Contact) Union-Tribune Columnist
2:00 a.m. January 25, 2009
He followed his father. snip
That is one absolutely horrible story. What a terrible thing for this young man to live with.
One possible bright note however, I suspect this will not happen again, to he and his son. One can only hope he will be able to relay enough some time, for as long as he lives, to other divers he encounters.

That is one absolutely horrible story

Yes indeed, goes to show that the truth can be far more horrible and unimaginable than anything we guess, speculate, or argue about, reinforcing the saying "Truth is stranger than fiction".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom