Diver dies in Middle Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
By KeysNet staff
Posted - Friday, November 14, 2008 12:06 PM EST
Marathon -- A Seminole County man diving with his son on a private vessel died Friday morning.

James William Hammock, 57, of Chuluota, Fla. was diving with his 28-year-old son west of Thunderbolt Reef offshore of Marathon Friday morning in about 60-to-80 feet of water when the incident occurred at 9:30 a.m.

His son, also named James, told Detective Natalie Mashburn his father signaled that he was running out of air. They made it to the surface, but he said once there, his father indicated he was in distress. A friend of theirs was in their boat. He cut the anchor, and motored to their location.

The two managed to get Hammock in the boat. They called the Coast Guard, then performed rescue breathing on him as they headed to shore. They met the Coast Guard en route to shore and the Coast Guard took over, performing CPR until they pulled in to Captain Hook's Marina.

Paramedics met them at the dock. Hammock was taken to Fishermen's Hospital where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy will be done by the Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office to determine the cause of his death

Prayers to the family

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, very distressing indeed. One fatality is one too many.

I think that would be the third incident reported here in the Keys alone in a reletively short space of time all with divers in a similar age group.

I understand its still minimal considering the number divers using the area, but it must be concerning to everyone to a degree.

The one in the Keys was the one. Thank you.

I did not know him personally but my wife and her family were very fond of him and they are all quite upset.

My condolences and prayers to the family. His immediate family consists of his wife, two daughters and two sons, with his children being in their 20's and 30's.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom