Diver dies in Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's so easy to second guess and play Monday morning quarterback. None of us were there, and there is always more to the story. Let her rest in peace, no post-dive forensics will prove anything here.

And yes, we were diving in the Keys on Thursday; the seas were a bit challenging.

The situation described often occurs in embolism (AGE) accidents. Victim returns to the surface, appears to be fine for the first couple of minutes, then goes unconscious and expires.

Well, you have a diver who thumbed a dive very early. First question is why? Was she just uncomfortable with the conditions, or was she already feeling unwell before coming back to the surface?

Once on the surface and at the boat, you now have a diver who thumbed a dive trying to reboard. She probably either thumbed the dive because she was feeling poorly or because something about the conditions made her uncomfortable. Either way, she's probably not 100%. I'm not sure I let go of her, and I know I don't watch her go floating off for multiples of minutes with some part of her gear already removed. Whatever her initial issue, bouncing around for 15+ minutes in 5-7' seas could only make it worse.

The article says she was removing at least some part of her gear prior to boarding. I wonder what gear she had removed prior to losing the boat, and if that played a part in the fatality. Is there a lesson there in terms of what order to pass stuff onto the boat? Should there be a line to grab in order to avoid floating away? Was she conscious at that point? Were any words exchanged between the DM or crew and the victim such that they might know why she thumbed the dive?

Very sad indeed.

It was just surprising to me to read how one minute she is at the back of the boat removing gear and then floated away before anyone could reach her for another 20 minutes or so. I would have thought a crew member would have jumped in and just towed her back to the boat. I guess it wasn't that simple.

I've heard of a number of people in different incidents who surfaced, then lost consciousness or lost strength/muscle control at the ladder.

The story sounds really weird though. I can't imagine that anybody on the boat could watch her fall back in and then let her drift for 15 minutes.

Terry

Ok I normally do not comment in these types of threads b/c we were not there and do not know the details...

But, that said...she came up early so that must have known something was up. She took off part of her gear (probably fins), and then they watched her float away?!? And yes they obviously saw her float away as they "banged on the aluminum ladder" to get her attention. Then they picked her up 15-20 minutes later?!? WTF?!

If for whatever reason they couldn't go pick her up right away by boat (other dives in the water or what not), why the heck didn't a DM throw on a pair of fins and jump in after her??

This story is very sad, disturbing, and frustrating. I really hope the locals do a thorough investigation and examine for possible negligence.

Is it common place to wait until all divers are recovered from a 100ft+ dive before effecting a rescue of a flailing diver? Tough spot for a charter boat to be in for sure...

Ok I reread and see that they banged on the ladder to recall the other divers, not to get her attention. However, that still shows that they saw her float away and did not go in after her.

Is it common place to wait until all divers are recovered from a 100ft+ dive before effecting a rescue of a flailing diver? Tough spot for a charter boat to be in for sure...

Most DMs in FL (as I'm sure you know, mostly posting this for non-Floridians) do not go in the water with divers. I would hope that at the very least, they should be there to provide assistance on the surface, especially life saving assistance if needed.

The situation described often occurs in embolism (AGE) accidents. Victim returns to the surface, appears to be fine for the first couple of minutes, then goes unconscious and expires.

One of several likely causes, but there are lots of other ones, including blood sugar issues.

Would not be the first time that reporting of events is not 100 % accurate, but as reported, this is a very disturbing series of events. I find it very difficult to believe that someone on board the boat would not immediately jump in the water.

Hopefully we will learn actual details, and they don't match what was initially reported.

Speculation only. Rough seas, maybe hit her head rendering her unconscious.

Speculation is not helpful, although I understand the desire to do so.

Unless you have read the Sheriffs report and seen the medical examiners report also, you cant really have any viable comment.

This dive operator has been around a long time and runs a quality operation. Please await the outcome of the investigation before discussing what happened.

Condolences to the family

Back
Top Bottom