Diver dies in Crystal River (3/29/04)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did that same trip with with Birds Dive shop back in February of this year. I was with a class of OW students who were doing their check out dives. I'm certified in OW but not cavern, yet I was allowed to dive into Kings Spring with the boat captain.

To make a long story short, I didn't stay long in the spring. I saw that it was an OH environment and left even though the vis was much better than outside the spring. I shouldn't been allowed to dive it in the first place.

Is this something that happens often? (diving OH with only OW cert.) I'm very shocked after looking at Grier's map that it would be allowed.

as far as i know, it hadn't happened for a while

but for the untrained, that cave has a few spots that can be dangerous

There are many overhead dives that are open to OW divers. DON'T DIVE THEM UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU ARE CAPABLE OF DEALING WITH THE POTENTIAL PROBLEMS WITHOUT A DIRECT SURFACE ASCENT AVAILABLE. Low visibility & "fake exits" are only a few of the many possible dead diver scenarios, there are many more.

I personally have dove overhead enviroments many times without an overhead certification. I am still alive, but many who have chosen to do the same are not. Just last weekend I participated in a cavern class. While I had previously done a BUNCH of research into overhead diving, I only had a partial grasp of what I was getting into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom