Diver dies in Crystal River (3/29/04)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
An out of state diver left his buddy went into the cavern zone got stuck and drown.
How many times does it have to be said Know your limitations and dive within those limitations. The cavern at Crystal River is not that big. They said he silted it out and got stuck.
I feel sorry for his family. OW divers without the proper training should understand that when things go wrong in an overhead envionment it can cost you your life fast.
What a shame. This may sound cold but we hear far to often of divers dieing because of lack of training and exceding there skill level.

Fred

That's terrible! Are you talking about that small cavern near the Manatee protection area? How new a diver was he? Post any more info you come across.

Edit: Snowbear, we posted at the same time...sorry...and thanks for the additional info.

but had to cancel because of work responsibilites. Must have been a long bus ride back here to Virginia. I too just got certified and I think the victim was in my sister class. I'm hearing two different versions, one says that he was with two buddies, all three came back up and then the victim still having some air left went back down alone. But then I'm hearing a different story that he lost track of his buddy, went to the surface to find said buddy, buddy not there so he goes back down to find him only to drown himself. Neither story is confirmed at all.

i am so sorry to hear this. my thougths go to this family and friends.

i've always worried about that cavern. i see OW divers in there a lot, and they
kick up silt and end up heading into one of the several dead ends in there. i've physically have had to pull one diver out of the lower chimney (most people don't even know this exists).

Does anyone have any information other then what was written in the St. Pete Times paper? I've dove there many times. Why would you remove your tank (Which was found empty) to go explore a cave?

""Published March 29, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRYSTAL RIVER - A diver on a tour to see the manatees died Sunday after becoming trapped in an underwater crevice.

About 40 scuba divers were capping their weekend trip with one last dive at the main spring in Kings Bay on Sunday morning when the accident happened. The spring is about 60 feet deep and is famous as a place to see manatees. Kings Bay is the headwaters of Crystal River.

Khrester Encanto, 27, briefly surfaced around 9:15 a.m. to say he had lost sight of his diving buddy. He re-submerged to look for him in the main spring at Kings Bay. His companions began to worry after about a half-hour and called 911.

The Citrus County Sheriff's Office dive team went to the site and two divers recovered Encanto's body from a small crevice about 1 p.m.

Encanto had apparently removed his dive tank in order to squeeze inside. The tank was recovered empty. The Sheriff's Office diver had to do likewise, relying on a small handheld air tank to be able to enter the crevice and remove Encanto's body, said a sheriff's spokeswoman.

Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Ronda Hemminger Evan said Encanto was described to her by the dive master as a "novice diver," although he was certified to dive. She said his body was taken to the Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy, but the likely cause of death appeared to be drowning.

She said the Sheriff's Office divers theorized that Encanto might have kicked up silt inside the crevice, which reduced visibility, causing him to be disoriented and trapped.

The dive was organized by Lynn Haven Dive Tours, a charter company in Virginia Beach, Va. The group spent the weekend at popular sites such as Kings Bay spring in Citrus County and Ginnie Springs in the Santa Fe River in Alachua County.

Lynn Haven owner Charles Salle said Encanto was a Navy sailor stationed aboard the guided missile frigate USS Elrod in Norfolk, Va. He said Lynn Haven organizes trips to Crystal River several times a year.

The divers hired Bird's Underwater Dive Center in Crystal River to ferry them out to Kings Bay aboard three pontoon boats.

One of the pontoon boat pilots, Marty Senetra, said the group first went on a manatee sightseeing dive using snorkels. Then, individual members of the group began to put on scuba gear to dive deeper into the main spring.

"It was sort of confusing with everyone changing out," Senetra said. "But they had their own dive masters, and they seemed to be in control."

He didn't see Encanto surface initially, but said that others aboard the boats told him what happened.

"People kept thinking he might have been on one of the other boats, and it took about a half-hour to figure out that he wasn't," Senetra said. "Then we realized that he was overdue."

Visibility in the area where Encanto drowned was about 10 feet, said a member of the Sheriff's Office dive team.""

this is pure conjecture... there is only one place in that cavern that might make
someone think they need to remove their tank.

it's called the lower chimney, and it's next to the smaller entrance (to the right).
if someone went in there and turned right instead of left (towards the main cavern),
they will find themselves in a small room that continues to get smaller as it leads
towards the surface.

it actually narrows to the point were exit is impossible, but you can see the surface.

now, IF this diver got trapped in there, he probably kicked up a lot of silt and got
very disoriented. he saw the surface and thinking he could reach it, went for it.

he could not squeeze through, and thus took off his tank. he still could not get through (it's impossible; it's too small).

this is all conjecture. god knows why he took his tank off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom