Diver dies in 40 Fathom Grotto - Feb 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dale, I think you raise some valid concerns. I think the one of the keys to safe(er) tech training is small steps. Obviously having the skills nailed and some experience at one step before going to the next should go a long way. In all diving, the big "problem" seems to me to be simply going too far too fast.

Naturally, I have no idea what happened in this case because folks keep posting that they know but won't say. LOL

You are correct. Hal and Jan leased Forty Fathom out to some NAUI folks out of Jax I think affiliated with the Commercial Dive Academy. Hal is focusing on his Training Agency PSAI at the International level right now. He still does live there at FF. If anyone lives in Orlando, Hal will be coming sometime in March to do a talk for Castaways Scuba club. It's well worth hearing him speak. He's about 70 now and definitely a scuba pioneer not to mention a mixed gas/tech expert. Not sure of the exact date but you can track it on their website. The site says they meet the last Tues of each month at 7pm which would be Mar 25th. WELCOME TO CASTAWAY SCUBA!

I have been a NAUI instructor for 15 years and a diver for 40. Around 1992 I got to do some work with Hal and spend some time at FFG. Hal = consummate professional at work, Hal = wild man at play. nuf said. He has been there and done that, got the Tee Shirt and wrote the letter home, I know he misses it but it's about time he dried out his ears.

Back
Top Bottom