Diver dies at Sandy Beach (O'ahu)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
*Printable version *E-mail this story
Posted on: Saturday, December 24, 2005

Diver dies at Sandy Beach

Advertiser Staff

An 18-year-old Kapolei man died yesterday after he was pulled unconscious from waters off Sandy Beach.

The man was diving with two other men when he got into trouble at about 2:40 p.m. Fire department Capt. Emmit Kane said rescue divers recovered the man in 75 to 90 feet of water. He was airlifted to Sandy Beach and taken by ambulance to Straub Clinic and Hospital where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy will be performed.

This is the only information they have for now. Found this info from the Honolulu Advertiser. Seen it on the news and they didn't say anything except the diver was found unconscious in deeper waters. Anytime a diver dies (or anyone else) it sucks, but especially right before the holidays.
Melissa

I am so sorry and praying for the family. Keep us up to date of what happened if there is any real information to that fact.

Nothing new on tv or in the paper. They really don't say much and never give to much information. They are more concerned with surfers and the football team.

Sandy's is on the east side by the blowhole. North and west shores are great for the surfers. East and south are pretty small. We were thinking he may have got caught in the Molokini Express to take him down to those depths. I have been to the blowhole many times and never hit over 45ft. I feel bad for his family and the dive buddies. That would be very tramatic for all. When there is more info, I will post it (unless someone else finds it and posts first).

Sad, just truly sad. My sympathy to family, friends and dive buddies. Only 18 and at this time of year.
Bill

From what I heard on the news the guy was in a group of 3 free divers and he most likely suffered from a black out...

So young...sad...

justleesa:
From what I heard on the news the guy was in a group of 3 free divers and he most likely suffered from a black out...

So young...sad...
I was wondering if he might be a free diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom