Diver death in NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tx_Jeff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Happend while I was down there but I did not get any first hand info. Here is the article posted in the Outer Banks Sentinel;

Cause of diver's death unknown
BY JULIA LEDOUX, SENTINEL STAFF

A Western Kentucky University professor died Sunday while diving the wreck of the U.S.S. Huron off Nags Head.

Nags Head Police Chief Charles Cameron said that Louis W. Turley, 51, was pronounced dead at the Outer Banks Hospital at 11:58 a.m. on July 11.

Cameron said Turley, Frank Proiano of Collegeville, PA and divemaster William Walker entered the water 225 yards offshore and descended to the wreck at around 10:45 a.m.

"The dive master checked off to see if everybody was okay," said Cameron.

A couple of minutes later, Walker noted that Turley was missing. Walker, who works for the Town of Nags Head, went to the surface to see if he could spot Turley. When he could not locate Turley on the surface, Walker descended to the wreck again to see if Turley was at the wreck site. Upon surfacing a second time, Walker activated a whistle device which altered lifeguards to the situation.

"The dive master then noticed that a surfer had hold of a diver in a full wetsuit," Cameron continued.

Lifeguards brought Turley to shore and began CPR but could find no pulse or respiration. CPR was continued by emergency medical responders from Dare County EMS.

Turley served as co-chairman of the university's economics and marketing department, according to its spokesman Bob Edwards.

"He was a great person," said Edwards of his friend. "He's just so much fun. He's so easy to talk to."

The cause of Turley's death remains undetermined, but police do not suspect foul play. The body has been transported to Greenville for an autopsy by the state medical examiner's office.

Julia LeDoux can be reached at 480-2234 or julia@obsentinel.com

Through a reliable source I have learned that the diver was wearing around 24 lbs. of weight and had very little air in the BC with 1800 psi in his tank. This dive originated from the beach which made for a long swim to the dive site. I am not possitive but I think the diver was an average build which raises a flag as to how much weight he was carring. Very tragic!

Also, all equipment was in full working order when examined.

Back
Top Bottom