Diver Death in Los Angeles- Point Fermin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

super opus:
when ppl die famnly memmbers like to sue for the ppl and the capton of the boat its best to stay facts only and reports to protce them sad i know but it happens more then you would think

In the United States you can sue for practically anything. However, winning is another story. There are legal documents that divers sign before they board any boat. Heard of them - waivers?

super opus:
they did not pay to dive it was not carted for the day there was one waver sing that was filed with the cost guard but still there where told bye tdi not to say anything tell the officle report is released

Very interesting. Not saying anything is SOP with agencies and all concerned.

Again, condolences first and foremost.

Mr.X:
Very interesting. Not saying anything is SOP with agencies and all concerned.

Again, condolences first and foremost.

Very true. If you pay dues to an agency and insurance premiums and THEY tell you to "refrain from discussing it" and "forward all inquiry to." What would anyone do??? Not talk about it.

CompuDude:
I want to know what the hell the guy's buddy (or buddies) was doing surfacing without him. Wreck diving is NOT a solo activity.

Edit: Looks like he may have been an instructor with students? Still no excuse. Had someone been with him, even a student, at least they could have told the rescuers where to look.

Really...he was with student. He was obviously a professional diver. I wonder what went wrong. How sad and disturbing that something like this could happen to someone who was probably a very competent diver.

The thing you learn, when something like this happens to an experienced diver, is that it can happen to anyone. Never get complacent.

Scubalaurel thanks for the tip, but I am not so sure I read the right artical, there must be more than one, going by the sound of this thread.

I'm following this article alittle late in the game so.....

I've just read the article from the LA Times.... what a piece of trash:confused: :confused: . I'm not a bright guy but can somebody explain to me the link between the divers death and the crime that his brother did. Following the half brain logic of the Times if somebody in your family tree commits a crime you stand a strong chance of being killed while diving:shakehead .

It's a shame that somebody actual paid for a college edu. in jounerilism :mooner: (sp) and that's the best service they could provide for the family.

Sorry about the rant.... but stupid things just set me off some days, may because this article has to do with the loss of a "brother diver"....

Maybe we should e-mail the Times and let them know how we feel about poor jounerlism...... just a thought

dmmike:
Maybe we should e-mail the Times and let them know how we feel about poor jounerlism...... just a thought

My kids like to read the comics, or I would have cancelled the Times long ago. I just don't that much fish to wrap..:wink:

The Times is getting thinner and thinner and thinner. My guess is soon it won't be much of a problem.

Tobin

I knew Ghandi and he dove with our rebreather group in Micronesia. I have corresponded with him and shot the breeze several times since then. To my knowlege he was not an instructor at all.

He dove a Classic Inspiration CCR. Unfortunately the classic does not have data logging nor a heads up display which is one of the reasons I went to Vision electronics on mine.

Thanks goodness they found his body and kit so they can try to forensically analyze his equipment and him.

I got along just fine with him and enjoyed calling him up and pranking him and just saying hello. He was quite mischivious like many of us adult boys. His wife was a lovely, sweet person and I feel very bad for her and his family.

I agree with the sentiment here how the Times is a liberal piece of tabloid trash calling itself a newpaper. There is no depraved depths the Times wont' sink down to to trash someone's reputation to sell newspapers.

Rest in Peace my Friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom