Diver Dead in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A result of a captain that does not know how to gauge current, wind, or both.
More like the difference between a Captain and a boat driver, or a paper tiger.

I may have been a little insensitive in some of my other posts in the related thread. I may not agree with who was sued but at the same time what’s most important is that the family of the diver has some closure and that the settlement helps them. In doing some self reflection, who really cares if some insurance company had to pay out a settlement. Any amount of money will never bring her back or help her family in dealing with their loss.

Now let’s hope the the boat captain faces some criminal charges.

Liveboating is inherently dangerous, and absolutely required as a pracrice in the dive industry. This is a tragedy and the specific details of how the diver got into the props are not publicly known. Utlimately the Captain is responcible for that even if she swam headfist into the prop on purpose. The purpose of this section of the forum is not to heap judgement but to learn from tragedy. Lets learn the details of the tragedy and learn from them rather than waste everyone's time by asserting our deep knowledge and virtue signal our opinions.

FYI Prop Shrouds are used to increrase thrust and not to protect things in the water, on commercial (not charter) boats they serve the additional benefit of making it harder to get an umbilical caught in the wheel while "walking the dog."
well said

Back
Top Bottom