Diver Dead in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It truly astounds me that a boat Captain would put a boat in reverse, and back toward a group of people in the water. I am not a Captain, but have owned recreational boats for the past 34 years, and that was one of the first things I learned not to do--ever.
I've had captains do it for me. They were good and no one was hurt.

In light of this accident, does it sound like a safe practice?
I believe I have experienced that too on tek dives where a shot line was used, and will object next time that is discussed during dive briefing.
Hindsight is 2020/Regulations are written with blood.

I was always very impressed how skillfully he would back up so close I could step onto the latter with not so much as one fin kick. I never really thought about the risk until now, although as I said a few other divers commented that it made them a bit nervous but I just shrugged it off. He always struck me as a very experienced captain and no that was not an intended pun.

I was always very impressed how skillfully he would back up so close I could step onto the latter with not so much as one fin kick. I never really thought about the risk until now, although as I said a few other divers commented that it made them a bit nervous but I just shrugged it off. He always struck me as a very experienced captain and no that was not an intended pun.

I have never operated commercially but this whole practice make me cringe. You never want to be head-on or stern-to a bunch of divers in the water with the engine in gear (maybe on - just maybe). A broken steering cable, loose transmission linkage, moment of distraction, gust of wind or a big wave, there are all kinds of ways having divers this close to props are an accident waiting to happen. Put the divers on the port or starboard rear quarter and have them move around to the stern ladder or skip having an aft facing ladder in the first place.

"Seems pretty slick" until its a disaster.

Captain Ziptie strikes again.

I was banned from his boat after I called him out on his using a ziptie to hold open the solenoid valve that is designed to shut off the fuel to the engines in case of a fire. He asserted that he could shut the engines off much faster than any solenoid valve so it was useless. Of course, after the ziptie melted and left us stranded just outside the entrance to the inlet, waiting to be towed in by SeaTow, he screamed at me. His wife reached out and told me she would make sure I could dive with them, I told her I’d prefer to remain banned.

Many of his practices were dangerous and it was just a matter of time before something bad happened.

Has this changed your mind?

Just because no one was hurt in the times captains backed up to you or others, does not make it a smart or safe practice. Things that can kill or maim you are often OK, until they are not. I never assume a boat driver sees me and everyone in the group, is not going to get distracted, or won't become incapacitated, so I stay the hell away from the trajectory of the boat and its prop until the engine is shut off. There is no good outcome when getting hit by a spinning prop, and it is not like this type of accident has never happened before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom