Diver critical after black out - South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Scuba diver critical after blacking out underwater off Simonstown
A scuba diver was taken to hospital in a critical condition after losing consciousness underwater and being rescued by a dive buddy in the ocean off Simonstown.

The two men were scuba diving off Long Beach when the incident happened on Saturday afternoon.

"His dive buddy dumped his scuba gear and rescued him towards the shore where he raised the alarm," said National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) station commander Darren Zimmerman.

"Pisces Dive School divers happened to be on the beach at the time and their divers waded into the surf and assisted both men out the water and commenced CPR (cardio pulmonary resuscitation) efforts on the one man."
Cape Medical Response, Cape Town fire and rescue services, police and the NSRI responded to the emergency.

"CPR efforts were continued by paramedics and following extensive CPR efforts a pulse was restored and the man has been transported to hospital ... by ambulance in a critical condition," said Zimmerman.

The diver who pulled him from the water was taken to hospital in a serious but stable condition.

Police divers recovered the dumped diver gear about 50 metres offshore.

Thanks for spotting that DD. I started my diving there (in the early 70's) and it can be a bit hectic out there. Not your usual Caribbean stuff.

Glad to see 1. he had a buddy , and 2. the buddy noticed something wrong. So many of these stories in this forum unfortunately are missing #2.

Glad to see 1. he had a buddy , and 2. the buddy noticed something wrong. So many of these stories in this forum unfortunately are missing #2.

And 3. luck, without a dive class onsite I doubt either would have made it off the beach alive. A great buddy, and my hat is off to that dive class.

Bob

Not good news. My heartfelt condolences to parents, family and friends.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom