Diver convicted in wife's drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the bit about the jury having only 4 hours to deliberate? What if the jury can't reach a verdict in the 4 hours? Is 4 hours really enough time to consider the evidence in a complicated case? Or is the premise that if enough jurors aren't persuaded of guilt in 4 hours, then must be a reasonable doubt and the defendant is not guilty? If so, that seems awfully generous.

After all of the discussion on the Gabe Watson case in Australia, I was doing my best not to post anything here. But, my best does not seem good enough.

1. I find it interesting how many people felt Watson was guilty compared to those that feel Swain is guilty.

2. There was a lot of publicly available information on the Watson case and relatively little here. Based on what little I've seen in the media, I sure do not see proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Perhaps there is more evidence than we've heard.

3. For those critical of circumstantial evidence. In the legal profession, circumstantial evidence is generally considered the best kind of evidence there is. However, many people confuse circumstantial evidence with speculation or weak inferences and therefore think it is bad evidence.

The truth is that circumstantial evidence is harder to fake. Eye witnesses often misperceive, forget or outright lie. (When you watch the crime shows on TV, such as CSI, etc., nearly all of their evidence is circumstantial ... that the suspect's fingerprints are on the murder weapon is circumstantial evidence.)

The Gabe Watson case had video footage of his abandoned drowning wife with no sight of rescue diver trained still gitty from the wedding husband...Big difference IMO...

Last edited:
In fact, we do send people to jail based on appearances. On TV/CSI there is always some clever piece of physical evidence the clinches the case. In reality, it is not as clear for most cases and the jury must make a judgment on many days of testimony and bits and pieces of evidence that by themselves are insignificant. This does not translate into a media sound-bite or a few post on a BB. So we are all left in the dark to some extent.

I am perhaps a little quick to judge, but IMO if someone is cheating on their spouse, I am not going to assume they are honest in other aspects of their life.

TV/CSI?!? This is real life! A man may very well spend the rest of his life in jail! This is also NOT A US court or a US jail at 50+ years old life in that jail wouldn't be long. Civil and criminal courts are as different as little league is to major league baseball. OJ didn't go to jail and there was a mountain of reai hard physical evidence against him. I'll say again this case probably would not have even gone to trial here in the US. TV/CSI:dork2:

What is the bit about the jury having only 4 hours to deliberate? What if the jury can't reach a verdict in the 4 hours? Is 4 hours really enough time to consider the evidence in a complicated case? Or is the premise that if enough jurors aren't persuaded of guilt in 4 hours, then must be a reasonable doubt and the defendant is not guilty? If so, that seems awfully generous.

They only needed four hours is what I read. Time limit? :idk: Rhone Man where are you?

His cheating certainly does not help public opionion and it is the sum total of all information that countries decide extredition. Once extredited you can expect a spirited prosecution. I wonder if infidelity was admissible in court? We can always send PM to Rhone Man for clarification.

He waived extredtion he didn't fight it because he wanted his day in court. He probably didn't realize that it was going to be a kangaroo court.

He waived extredtion he didn't fight it because he wanted his day in court. He probably didn't realize that it was going to be a kangaroo court.

18 months sentence is a kangaroo court? Waiting for his day in court? How many years past since death? Fraternity brother? There was a deal made for lighter sentence should he waive extradition. A very good outcome for him. Australia's judical system is still being bashed as a consequence...

They only needed four hours is what I read. Time limit? :idk: Rhone Man where are you?

That's true it only took 4 hours. IMO it indicates that they mostly had their minds made up before the trail was over. Usually deliberations that take so little time ends in a not guilty verdict.

18 months sentence is a kangaroo court? There was a deal made for lighter sentence should he waive extradition. A very good outcome for him. Australia's judical system is still being bashed as a consequence...

I 'm:confused:are you talking Swain or Watson? Swain waived his right to fight extradition he has not been sentenced yet. Watson I know nothing of other than what I read on this site. All my postings concern Swain. Being convited for murder with not hard evidence in 4 hours is a kangaroo court IMO.

I 'm:confused:are you talking Swain or Watson? Swain waived his right to fight extradition he has not been sentenced yet. Watson I know nothing of other than what I read on this site. All my postings concern Swain. Being convited for murder with not hard evidence in 4 hours is a kangaroo court IMO.

Sorry about that! Going back and forth with cases eating dinner and watching TV....Yeah, good point. Was the jury room airconditioned? :D

TV/CSI?!? This is real life! A man may very well spend the rest of his life in jail! This is also NOT A US court or a US jail at 50+ years old life in that jail wouldn't be long. Civil and criminal courts are as different as little league is to major league baseball. OJ didn't go to jail and there was a mountain of reai hard physical evidence against him. I'll say again this case probably would not have even gone to trial here in the US. TV/CSI:dork2:
This is a real life...yes, both his late wife's life was real and his are real.

Not a US Court... got news for you, if you travel to other counties and are accused of a crime, you have to use their courts in most cases. You have no right to a US Court of Law just because you are a visiting US Citizen.

Not a US Jail.. true, we coddle the convicts, except in Maricopa, AZ. (And yes, I have visited several jails and a state prision, just not as a resident.)

Criminal courts are not the same as civil.. true, but he lost in both.

OJ did not go to jail... who cares, since when did 2 wrongs ever make a right.

Would never have gone to trial in US... Questionable, I am not an expert. We would have done a better job on the forensics for sure. The media reporting would still be junk and we would still be in the dark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom