Diver convicted in wife's drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing to remember also is that civil trials and criminal trials have litte in common.
Rules of evidence are different. Swain would probably not have be allowed to represent himself in a capital crime trial in the USA. I'll find out for sure about the autopsy. My understanding is one wasn't done. Apparently all the gear wasn't collected at the the time of the incident either, which is something I find unbelieveable. Other than some little backwater town somewhere in the woods that wouldn't happen in the US. I don't believe the mask would have been allowed in criminal court either as it was "lost" and uncontrolled for a period of time.
These things are allowed in civil trials as the only thing being taken is money or property not life or liberty which at least until the last few decades was something we in the US valued more than money but,that's a post for a different forum. I sincerly hope my personal knowledge of David Swain is not clouding my objectivity in this matter. Having seen injustice done in the past and the number of people being set free because of DNA evidence after spending years in jail these days, it's clear to me that mistakes are easy to make and things are not always what they seem. I'm waiting for the appeal. Hopefully his family will be able to afford a better defence. I mean if OJ was able to walk with the mountain of hard evidence against him Dave should be free already. Added: Shelly's air was not turned off when they check her gear. That was the SPECULATION by the "expert witness" on what COULD have happened. I don't think it would have been ruled an accident if her valve was turned off.

Last edited:
Well, that article is the first reference I can recall that her air was turned off. My next question was if it was ever on fully and that was answered by her diving for about 8 minutes before stopping breathing. So her air was on, but she was found with her air turned off.

I thought it read like the 8 minutes was an estimate based upon the pressure in the tank when they found it combined with a guess at her consumption rate. Was there some way that they determined it was 8 minutes as a matter of fact? If it was a guess, the time could easily be off because of incorrect estimates of the pressure at the start of the dive or her consumption rate.

Thanks a lot, Ken. This answers quite a few questions indeed. And it opens up a lot more as well.

I did not know that the party on the boat had an agreement to have two adults on board at all times. This factor certainly lessons the effectiveness of Swain’s potential explanation that he would never murder his wife with his friends present. They were not in the water, so in that sense they were also not “present” to witness him attacking his wife if that was his plan.

On a side note: If indeed he did do this and plan it as such, he would know that the Thwaites’ son would be there to see the recovery of his wife’s body. This would be pretty heartless in my book.

Thwaites finding the fin away from Shelley’s body is also significant. What I don’t get is why Swain’s comments about the fin are germane to anything in this case. The fin was resting where it was, and as far as I can tell Thwaites’ testimony is believable, so why would it be necessary to ask Swain about the fin other than to ask him if he’d placed it there in an attack of some sort?

There is no need to package this evidence in a veneer of deception if his primary defense is that he wasn’t there to begin with. The location of the fin speaks for itself as evidence, and this adds to the other information about his swim time around the wreck that was presented by Jenni. This is also potentially quite damning and bolsters the plaintiff’s evidence about the fin needing to be placed there by the only person in the water.

From the site: “[O]ne of Shelley Tyre's yellow swim fins sticking in the sand, toe-first.”

I may still be reading this wrong, but this “sticking” appears to be more of a resting position in the sand (tip down and inserted), which isn’t to stay that this helps Swain. It proves that Thwaites didn’t put it in that position by incidental or deliberate contact. If Swain was the only one in the water, I can see why this is very damning evidence. Not having seen Oliver’s video evidence myself, I can’t say for sure, but I can see where this could be the crucial piece that swayed the jury as Ken was talking about earlier.

Lying on her back…

This is interesting to me. Assuming for the moment that Shelley was in a panicked state and say in an upright position, she could have been kicking at the sand with her fins. If at some point the fin came loose as she struggled with her fears, she could have put the fin into the sand before moving on and settling backwards to rest on her back. Remember, the weight belt was still on. The big question would be if the fin was in the sand in an upright position relative to where she was resting or was it in an upside down position to her body? Does Thwaites even remember at this point?

I saw something like this on a trip a couple years back in Palau. My fiancée (now my wife) and I were doing an afternoon dive at Chandelier Caves. We were accompanied by an American father and his daughter who were traveling together. He was very new to diving at that time and had serious buoyancy issues. On a dive the day prior, we noted that he was doing the notorious bicycle kick that many do when they first learn to dive. Why the dive op chose to bring him to the caves on this day is beyond me.

Anyway, at some point at the mouth of the cave he became very uneasy and started kicking wildly (exercise bicycle style) while failing his arms out in some kind of attempt to balance himself. It wasn’t working.

We weren’t very deep, but he was slipping into full-blown panic pretty quickly anyway. As he flailed his legs out he pushed himself backward while kicking up sand and rock. His DM went to him at about the same time I did. I released his weight belt while the DM made sure he didn’t pull his reg out of his mouth. This stabilized things quickly and he was able to get back to the surface and then to the boat. We were also able to retrieve the weight belt.

Now I know a beginning diver is not a fair comparison to one with 350 dives, unless of course the fear and panic factors are considered a potential explanation. If she lost all rational thought at some point, she could have made some unfortunate decisions.

The article says that Thwaites found her with “her eyes and mouth open”. This is a clear indication that her reg was not in her mouth. For me, this could be consistent with her being attacked, sure, but it could also be indicative of a diver who panicked, ripped her mask off, and then pulled her reg out of her mouth.

So the entire account of the fin and how it rested remains tied to Thwaites’ memory of how he found it. I’m not questioning his integrity, but this becomes important in any scientific experiment. How exactly the fin rested and how it was described after the ordeal of finding a friend’s body underwater becomes very crucial if any details are altered or if the impart is being misconstrued. All of Oliver’s findings have to be tested against a memory, not a clear cut scenario where we know exactly how the fin rested and how far it was in the sand. Again, Thwaites’ testimony would have to have been challenged, and from the looks of it, this did not transpire in the civil case. Who knows if it was in the criminal trial.

We also find out that it may not have been Swain who told the CPR trained diver she was already dead. I still don’t know if this is material to anything in either case.

Yes, the condition of the mask is important. The force ripped the pin out of the support buckle, which does indicate something drastic has happened. Would a panicked diver rip a mask off in this way or simply slip it off over the head? I just don’t know. With the mouthpiece and the snorkel as well, this is also unclear, but definitely not inconsistent with a struggle. Ken is right about that. The combination of the two does seem to hurt Swain’s defense, but only if the other evidence holds up, I’d say.

And this is less obvious in my opinion:

“Finally, said Hyma, a certified diver for 36 years, there was no reason for Tyre to have drowned: she had plenty of air in her tanks; no medical condition that would have interrupted her normal breathing, and as a veteran of more than 350 logged dives, she was well versed in emergency response.”

and

“HAD TYRE ENCOUNTERED any other type of emergency than an attack, her first act would have been to drop her weight belt, so she could get to the surface as fast as possible. But Tyre was found with her weight belt still on.”

I have read on many discussion boards and in several magazines that there are an alarming number of people with a great deal of experience who are found dead in the water with 1) their regs out of their mouths and 2) their weight belts still attached. These unfortunate people with a heck of a lot of experience fell victim to primal fear apparently. Hyma may be right that the equipment hadn’t failed, but he is ignoring many cases where even very experienced divers undergo a panicked moment where all the experience goes by the side and who are later found with their weight belts still securely around their waists. To say there is no explanation for her to have her equipment working and to have drowned in this way is to be dishonest or plain ignorant about the realities of diving. True we may not fully understand why someone would not remove their weight belt, but that doesn’t change that fact that it happens.

Is she an advanced diver or a rescue diver? 350 dives is a lot of dives, and certainly grounds for questioning a panic attack, especially if her previous instances of panic are recorded at the start of her logbook. This remains a mystery to me. The plaintiffs don’t seem to want to leave even a crack of explanation open, and I am surprised that this went unchallenged given what really happens in the water. If this evidence is by and large the same as the criminal trial, there are still some serious questions about what some experts are asserting, though the possibility is certainly stronger on some points for the prosecution as well.

And Jenni’s testimony :

“Based on the amount of oxygen still in Tyre's tank when she was found, Jenni and other expert witnesses have determined Tyre was underwater for about eight minutes before she stopped breathing.
Divers normally swim about one foot per second while underwater, Jenni said. That is an important calculation when considering what Swain said during his deposition: that after about a five-minute descent to the wrecks together, he set off alone and made one revolution around one of the sunken boats.”

This is actually quite amazing to me. Yes, it might be true that divers swim on average 1 foot per minute, but then this calculation becomes moot when you put a camera in a diver’s hands. The speed is typically drastically reduced, as a photographer will sometimes spend several minutes in one location trying to get the perfect shot. Photographers like my sister’s husband will oftentimes not know what is going on around his location because he is looking for Macro or in some cases scanning the pictures taken while swimming. I’ve seen it many times with other divers in many contexts where photographers swim with one eye on the LCD and the other somewhere in the direction they are swimming.

That he would have seen her at the bottom without a camera is by no means an absolute for all divers, add the camera as a distraction and it is well within the realm of possibility that he could have missed seeing her entirely.

Also, this calculation seems to indicate that the evidence in question did not include dive computers, particularly a dive computer that monitors air consumption.

This 8-minute calculation is very clever, I grant them that, but how do we know that this is accurate? Is Shelley’s logbook complete enough to include her average air consumption totals? It is definitely possible. But then that only accounts for dives that went well. If a diver is in a panicked situation, one where he or she encounters the feeling of difficulty taking in air, is it not possible that quite a lot of air was consumed in a short amount of time before she spat out the reg? If that is the case, what does that do to the prosecution’s timeline one way or the other? I can’t imagine that it helps much. Again lots of presumptions delivered using a flawed the appeal to authority. How could Swain have let these issues go unchallenged?

He needs a better lawyer in a big way!

Cheers!

Dadvocate, A very thoughtful post. As I stated before civil trials are different from criminal trials. I don't know what is and isn't admissible in an English criminal court but much of what is in the article that Ken linked to would not be admissible, here in the US, and a good lawyer with a techincal advisor in diving could cast many shadows on the expert "witnesses" conculsions. In a civil court the one with the most evidence wins. Since Swain did little in his defense he lost the civil case. As I've stated before Dave is not about money, nobody wants to be broke but Dave isn't the type to be obbsessed with it. As a friend and someone who knows Dave well from working,diving and just hangin' out with him I find it very hard to believe he would do this. However if you read my posts here and in a few other threads about this case you'll find that I seldom write he didn't do it. I do state over and over that questions are many and evidence is light. These expert "witnesses" were hired and paid for by Shelly's parents so their objectivity can also be question, this is the 1st time however that I mention it. As a friend I want Dave to get a fair deal, IMO he hasn't. He was up against people with a lot of money and very heavy hearts. Until Dave bought the dive shop he was a shipyard worker as was I, neither of us were / are people of means.
I don't know if Dave ever talked about having others with them on that trip. That is one of my questions. Why would a man planning a murder bring along potential witnesses? Sure they had an agreement that 2 would stay on the boat with the little one, but that doesn't mean that one of them wouldn't have gone in the water because of some kind of problem topside to round up the divers and stumble about an attack in progress. I mention this because I don't want words that I wrote put into Dave's mouth. Yes Dave needs a better lawyer but without money I don't see how that happens. I use " " around the word "witnesses" because they didn't witness anything. There were no witnesses, which is the bottom line because if there were the questions would be few and the truth would be known.

Last edited:
Well, that article is the first reference I can recall that her air was turned off. QUOTE]

This is not a statement of fact. This was his opinion. Her air was on. His contention was the air was turned off by Swain then turned back on. I guess then to keep things neat the fin was stuck in the sand? :shakehead:

Hi, After Dark!

As I said earlier, I respect the fact that you are sticking by your friend. I am still haunted by what Rhone Man said earlier about the locals in BVI always siding with the prosecution. This is worrisome for a lot of reasons. The biggest being that the general public is not going to be too concerned if a conviction comes on flimsy evidence.

It is nice to see that there is someone out there who still sticks by him, especially one who actually takes the time to investigate the reasons why his friend has been convicted.

Your point about the experts is a salient one. The article (if Ken’s assertion about newspapers getting most of the facts right is true) paints a very incomplete picture. For me, the calculations about air consumption and swim time are very creative. They certainly work to establish one possible scenario with your friend being the architect for murder, but then that is all they needed in a civil trial, which then turned into criminal litigation in an environment where the jury will probably lean in favor of the prosecution.

That expert divers would sell their souls and say that Swain would “definitely see her” or say that Shelley would “definitely” have done such and such is very disturbing to say the least. These claims are meant for a jury comprised of people who don’t dive. They are prefaced on the illusion that calculations based on averages and references to experience mean that a given outcome rules out Swain’s innocence. From what I’ve seen, this is clearly the wrong assumption.

Ken said earlier that he thinks some posters in this thread have an expectation that there has to be an eye witness in all cases to prove murder. He is referencing something I’ve heard before about how some people will never accept circumstantial evidence as a replacement for the “smoking gun”. I can see why he would point this out. If there were a case were the circumstantial evidence was rolled in on a trolley but there is still no DNA and still no eye witness, I would be less inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the defendant.

But the issue goes back to the kind of jurisprudence we expect to have as a society. The burden of proof being so flexible that all it takes is a few expert witnesses willing to sell only one scenario when others are clearly applicable is troubling, particularly when the other evidence, such as DNA and eye witnesses are lacking. I can see why anyone who is a friend of Swain would see this conviction as a problem. Again, Oliver’s video expose on the fin is important here. I don’t know how thorough he was. Nonetheless, his experiments, no matter how you slice it, are tied significantly to Thwaites’ memory of the fin as he swam by and picked it up.

Alas, the BVI system and the fact that Swain has no money do not bode well for him or the next diver who comes along and has this trial used as a standing precedent for how to prove something using tactics that should never be allowed in the first place. I don’t see how any degree of the truth has been served here, though I can understand why the Tyre family wanted justice. There are certainly enough questions raised to warrant that.

In the end it comes down to this. Do we feel safer as a society if an innocent person occasionally goes to prison on shoddy evidence or do we feel safer if an occasional murderer gets off because we demand a very high level proof before we will strip a person of their freedom?

I know what the answer is for myself.

Cheers!

Dadvocate, I don't know if your an American but in your heart you are for sure!:D
Everyone American or not, diver or not should have a bad feeling about this case. Dave was charged after 10 years not because of any new evidence but only because he lost a civil case that he made not effort to win. Had he been more worried about losing the insurance money and lunched an aggressive defense he'd probably be free today.
Thanks again for your insightful and thoughtful posts.

Yes, I am an American, but I live overseas. I'd say these issues are certainly universal enough for anyone who is interested in justice and fairness. I think you are absolutely right that this conviction seems tainted for all the reasons you've outlined.

I also think that money has played a significant role here as well. In the end, I hope an attorney who is interested in this case will step up and defend your friend. If he is guilty, though, I do hope the evidence bears this out. I should be clear on that.

I have my own biases as well, just like others. I believe that in the end everyone's best interests will be served if it can be proved outright that Shelley died of an accident doing what she loved. This is completely naive at this juncture, I know.

Still having your daughter die in an accident doing what she loved is a better burden than carrying one where she has been murdered by her husband. I wish for them as well that this ambiguity were not present in this case. That's is never going to happen, no matter what the outcome ultimately is... and that is what it is.

Cheers!

Dadvocate, I couldn't agree with your last post more. Friend or not if it guilt was proven beyond a reasonable doubt I wouldn't make a fool of myself by posting here other than to say how shocked and sadden I was to find a side of my friend I'd would've bet my life on didn't existed. I'm going to PM you stand by.

Last edited:
Here's a letter to the editor from Dave's daughter:

To the Editor,

My name is Jen Swain Bloom. I am the daughter of David Swain. I attended every day of last month's court proceedings of "the Queen vs David Swain" with my brother, Jeremy. I had to leave Tortola to return to my job as an educator, but it appears I will have to be returning to your island in the coming months to visit my father, and support the appeal of an unfortunate verdict.

The moment the verdict was read in the courtroom was the most surreal and terrifying of my life, trumped the next day at Her Majesty's Prison by the heartbroken and devastated expression on my father's face when I left to go get on a plane without him. I would not wish either moment on my worst enemy. My family knows he is innocent, and that knowledge cannot be shaken- not knowing the facts of this case as we do, knowing our father as we do, and knowing the

circumstaces of his life with Shelley as we do. The partnership they had was rare, understood by few, but admired by many. That verdict was not just a verdict on my father and my family, but on everyone present. We are all irrevocably

scarred, and most won't ever know it. This whole experience has been incredibly insulting, shocking, revealing...and for me and my family, the nightmare is not even close to over. We are seeking an appeal that will hopefully repair some of the damage, but will forever have to live with the knowledge that this world is scarier than we ever imagined.

In the past week, I was able to collect 45 letters written by my father's friends, family and colleague's speaking to his character and charitable actions. My father served on the Jamestown Town Coucil for four years, a relatively thankless

and payless but necessary job for the community. When Shelley was alive, they used the scuba shop as a temple to the ocean- regularly donating pool time, free gear rentals and training to veterans, handicapped service organizations,

disadvantaged youth groups, and new divers with meager wallets. Like any place of worship, the money was scarce but my father and Shelley made up for it because they were wealthy in their eagerness to learn and teach the treasures of

the ocean to others. After Shelley's death, he continued growing the temple as a tribute to his late wife. In the court, he was only described as a bad businessman. The letters I was able to collect sharing anecdotes from this time show the David Swain I know.

I pray that every diver that travels outside their country has the presence of mind in a disaster to take care of themselves. There is not strong enough protocol in place yet everywhere to carry out accurate and foolproof dive accident

investigations. The ineptness of the investigation into Shelley's death has cost my family ten years and hundreds of thousands of dollars. It has cost us my father's life, and Shelley's memory.

Regards,
Jen Swain Bloom

Back
Top Bottom