divemaster mapping project?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregondiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How many dives did you do for your dive master mapping project...what was viz like and did you have others helping (is a class ora partner)?

Thanks
Shell

Probably ten or twelve all told. And though I had a buddy most of them they were not helping. Merely along for the swim. The detail dives were done solo.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jim, what was your viz like? (And thanks for the reply)

I did two dives for my map, but it would have been more detailed had we done more. I had a helper. We mapped a site that consists of a sloping, silt plain with dotted "artificial reef" structures like concrete balls or tires on it. Viz was about 10 feet. We used a reel with knotted line to measure distances, and a compass for headings, and noted depth at each feature.

We had about 3m of viz. The site we mapped was about 150m x 200m square. In order to collect enough data points to map the bottom accurately we needed to make about 30 sweeps though the site with a notepad, compass and line. We ended up making something like 15 dives before we had what we wanted, which included plotting 100 reef balls on our map.

Our map was very accurate but if I had known then what I know now I would have begun by getting a nautical map of the area and then just plotting objects within the dive site on the map instead of inventing the wheel from scratch.

Part of the assignment is to have that "oh snap" moment when you realize (usually when you're almost finished) that you could have done the whole assignment with a lot less work if you had just done it efficiently. :)

R..

The funniest thing about my mapping project is that it left me with a lingering desire to go back to that site with a good team and proper equipment, and map the living daylights out of it . . . and I don't even LIKE the place!

Three of us did two dives and did the project over two days. It was a very simple project. Map the site so that one could make their way to a particular feature that divers visit at that site.

First day was to collect the info and prepare the map. The second day out was to validate the map by having someone who had never dived the site use the map and successfully navigate to the primary feature.

We bucked the trend that was starting to develop at our Shop. A lot of the maps were becoming elaborate exercises that demonstrated the groups' use of Autocad and other drawing programs. We kept it very simple with hand drawings and photos of permanent navigation features.

Visibility was about 15 feet if I recall.

Six dives, viz was about 5'. There were others on the dive but served as observers only. What was fun was that after I completed the mapping - it was used for others to make a tour.......and they actually came back :D

How many dives you will need to do will depend on many things. For example how familiar are you already with the site before you actually make the intended mapping dives? It will also depend heavily on the size and complexity of your chosen site, and yes the conditions will make a difference

With excellent viability and a small site, it could be possible to map in just 2 or 3 dives; one or two to get a broad layout and orientation of the site and another one or two to add details on distances and depths. Clearly the more dive you do, the greater level of detail your map will include, but as long as the information you include on the map is accurate, it does not need to be anything fancy.

Having said that, one of our DMTs produced an amazing mapping project, in true pirate treasure map style!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...4560215157.373435.286465380157&type=1&theater

Back
Top Bottom