Divemaster liability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chironomidkraut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If a divemaster goes diving with a couple other certified divers, the divemaster isn't working he is just out for fun dive, and something happened to one of the other divers in the group is he legally liable because of his training??

I don't know about Canada but in the US anyone can be sued for anything by the nambi pambies that will not take responsibility for themselves and their families looking for a payout. But this is not a legal liabiility as far as breaking any laws. It would be done in civil court unless the DM did something criminal that recklessly endangered the divers

Great question. How about the assistant instructor or instructor who is on a dive boat out for a personal pleasure dive? Any pro level for that matter may be subject to frivolous lawsuits.

My understanding is that before being a professional, the Good Samaritan laws protect you. The rule is if you start to save someone you have to continue until physically unable or a more qualified person comes along. If you don't even attempt to help you are pretty much off the hook.

Once you become a divemaster it is another story. If it would endanger your life or there was reasonable cause for why you would not help then you are off the hook. But if you could have helped and didn't you could be found liable. Essentially, if you do the best you can and it still isn't enough no one will fault you but you have to use your training if you can do so safely.

This is not legal advice. This is just what I was told before becoming a divemaster. Last guy I knew who was involved in an incident outside of work was him and two friends. One of the friends died. He got bent trying to save him. The victim had a heart attack on a technical dive. Everyone had a deco obligation. One guy took the victim to the surface (no deco stop) while the other guy did his deco stops. The thinking was, if blowing off the deco stop incapacitated the one guy, the other guy would have to save two people once he completed his safety stops.

There was a lot of speculation and pointing fingers but no legal action was taken against the instructor. He did his best to save his friend.

Realistically, I've been CPR, first aid, secondary care, etc. certified since before I was a scuba diver. In an emergency situation (I've been in three now) the training kicks in and you just do.

I would have to check but I also would not be surprised that this only applies to active professionals. I have to re-certify for my Emergency First Response (EFR) every two years. If I do not I become inactive. If I am not current I'd suspect I'm back to being a non-professional and covered by the Good Samaritan laws.

As Jim points out, there is a difference between being sued and being liable. In the scenario you raise ( and this attorney Dennis, not DivemasterDennis now posting), the key is reliance. If the other divers made it clear to you that they were only diving because you were with them, and that were looking to you to do the dive plan and lead the dive, and you undertook the task knowing they were relying on you as a professional diver, then you have a duty to act as a reasonable and prudent divemaster would in those circumstances. That means, for example, if you led divers deeper than the recreational limit ( or their own limits of competence ) and someone suffered injury or other damages, you are likely to be liable. In addition, the reliance the other divers place in you must be reasonable. That is, you standard of care is that of a divemaster, not a physician. It should also be said that if you undertake to repair or set up someone's equipment, acting as a divemaster, or because they asked you too as a divemaster, not just a friend, then if you are negligent in doing so you will be liable for any damages caused. Certified divers are responsible for themselves, but if they rely on you as a professional to do something, you must exercise due care and meet the same standard of care applicable that would apply if you were the paid dive leader. I know that may be a less specific answer than you want, but these cases each turn on their own facts. They key is reliance by the other diver on your professional skills, and your undertaking to do something FOR them as a dive professional. Clearly it is possible for a dive professional to go diving with friends without professional liability. But what if you observe a diver seriously overweighting themselves, or you hear or see a leak in a connection or bc, are you required to act? Friendship dictates that you should, and the law says you probably should too, though absent reliance and undertaking, liability will probably not attach. In a "close call" situation, the court is also likely to look at how much control you had over the other divers. If you were the clear leader and "order giver," it is much more likely that you may be liable than if you are not. Feel free to private message me if this response leads to further questions. And may I recommend you maintain a policy of professional liability insurance for divemasters? Companies do write it and I maintain mine at all times. It is VERY cheap compared to liability insurance for lawyers.
DivemasterDennis ( a real trial lawyer with 33 year in the trade)

Great question. How about the assistant instructor or instructor who is on a dive boat out for a personal pleasure dive? Any pro level for that matter may be subject to frivolous lawsuits.

Actually this is a bigger worry for me. Being in Canada and knowing instructor and course directors with years of experience they have told me if I do my best I should be fine. If I'm on a charter on vacation in say Florida it could be a whole different story. Some people on forums have suggested carrying my AOW card and presenting that so no one knows I'm a DM. My instructors told me present your highest level certification. If something happens and it is found out you are a professional, it could make things worse for you.

So far the only incidents she has been witness to were ones she could see coming. She told the diver and the charter the dive was outside their ability and to not do it. She made it very clear that if they decided to ignore her advice she would not be responsible. She never suffered any legal action.

Chirono...this is a pretty a good question. I think the legal question would be centered on what capacity was the individual diving. Was he or she effectively leading the dive for two customers/club dive as a DM or was it just a fun dive involving three friends? In the case of the latter, it would be pretty hard to sue an individual unless he thoroughly demonstrated gross negligence.

Perhaps, the easy get out of jail card would be to only do pleasure/rec/tech with divers that hold higher certification than you do...or to handpick the folks you dive with. For example, today I was part a group of 10 that did a drift dive in the St-Lawrence (Morrisburg). There was a least 1 instructor, 2 other divemasters and everybody else being at least AOW. This was not a club sanctioned dive...only 10 friends getting together for a wonderful dive.

Scubadiver...you bring up an interesting point wrt certification. The reason charters/dive ops ask you such question is to ensure that you have the minimum level required for the type of diving you are about to do. Therefore when I travel my minimum cert level will either be AOW/EAN or Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures certified, because these allows me to dive down to 150 ft, use appropriate breathing mix ranging from 21 to 100% O2 content both day or night with or without deco obligation.

I personally do not know of any dive ops requiring a minimum of RD/DM level cert for diving unless you are applying for a job. Since I paid a great deal of money to be where I am with the people who are accompanying me to do the type of diving that I want to do, I will certainly not volunteer my DM cert unless the dive ops is willing to let me dive for free while I physically nanny an individual. In all honesty, the only time I would bring up such certification while travelling would be if one of my non-diving friends who came along on said trip elects to take a resort course enabling him or her to dive afterward down to 40 ft but only if accompanied by a DM. In such case it would have no problem whatsoever and tailor those dives accordingly.

DMDennis, very good points. I think same could be said if a non pro certified diver did observe something irregular or a perceived malfunction with someone else equipment or witness somebody in distress and elected to just stand by and not offered any kind of assistance. I wonder how much defense ground one would hold by merely stating that because he/she was not Rescue Diver/Pro certified he elected not to act or assis somebody in trouble?

Last edited:
Jim touched on this and Dennis brought into clear sight.

As an insurance agent, my #1 concern would be defense. You could be 100% innocent, yet you can be sued. What does defense cost? CYA! The last figures that I saw showed in the low 40%ish that was paid out under liability policies were for defense cost, not paid settled claim payments.

The speculation may be easily laid to rest with the answer to this simple question: "What was the outcome of the last dive master on a fun dive civil suit"?

Has there ever been one?

If I'm on a charter on vacation in say Florida it could be a whole different story. Some people on forums have suggested carrying my AOW card and presenting that so no one knows I'm a DM. My instructors told me present your highest level certification. If something happens and it is found out you are a professional, it could make things worse for you.

The speculation may be easily laid to rest with the answer to this simple question: "What was the outcome of the last dive master on a fun dive civil suit"?

Has there ever been one?

And the answer is no.

That issue has been covered many times in many threads. The lawsuits against DMs or Instructors acting in a professional capacity have been few and far between. The only successful ones I know of have involved actions so amazing that no one would question the judgment.

A DM or instructor acting in a non professional relationship has no additional liability. Acting in a professional relationship includes the reliance concept divemasterdennis mentioned. It also usually includes some kind of payment, which could be as little as a free beer after the dive--anything that would lead one to conclude that the professional is acting in a way that implies that professional to nonprofessional relationship that leads to a feeling of reliance.

When I am going on a chartered dive, I always show a professional card. It gets me all sorts of benefits. I get into the best dive groups. The DMS let me do what I want without hassle. I end up with some great collegial chats with the operator's pros. Anyone who shows only a low-level card because of the fear of the nonexistent liability boogieman and is happy to dive with the beginning group as a result is missing a lot of fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom