Divemaster employment - Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Are you PADI divemaster certified?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on. This is not slavery. People don't sell themselves into slavery.

Mexico ended slavery back in 1829, with an exception for the province of Texas, 34 years before Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation.
Haiti abolished slavery in 1794, Chile in 1823, Britain in 1834, and Peru in 1854, so our nation south of the Mason-Dixon line was just a lot slower than most of the rest of the world - but still much faster than Mauritania which finally abolished slavery back in 2007.

Michael
But you still pay illegals 3 bucks an hour.

When I was 23 I worked on a kibbutz in Israel 6 days a week for $8. a month plus r&b, cigarettes, and shoes. It was the best time of my life.
I think it is great that young people have the opportunity to work hard for a year or two in the sunshine before settling in to what will become their "real life" (as my mother would say).
Most people would never understand the merits of volunteering your time for the betterment of the community.

Up untill the 1860s, slaves had free food at the staff buffet and accommodation too. I thought that ended with the Emancipation Proclamation back in 1863.
Now I know I was wrong.
Michael
It is very insensitive for you to compare this job to slavery.
Please remember that many lost their lives and suffered tremendous abuse. I am sure you were trying to make a joke but it just felt short of funny.
This job has a choice - you can take it if you like it or not and you can leave it any time if you do not feel that you are being treated right or if you are tired of it.
If I was retired or really young without responsibilities, I think it would be a pretty sweet gig.

Back
Top Bottom