Divemaster almost complete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been working on it since last July. All that remains is to tread water for 20 minutes, recover gear from the bottom of the pool, the S&P test, and run an off shore charter.

What agency are you certifying with that you need to do a 20 minute water tread? PADI requires 15 minutes with the last 2 minutes having hands out of water. My sneaky instructor didn't tell me that, I had to tread water for 15 minutes without hands, but in sea water. That would be all but impossible in fresh water. At least for me it would have.
I completed my DM and awaiting PADI to send me the C-card. I did some water skills, swim and tread test at the end of my honeymoon in Bonaire with my wife who also OW certified there. I choose that particular instructor because I knew he wasn't going to just hand me a card but make me work for it. He said, " It builds character " and he is right. After 4 trips to Bonaire and getting to know my instructor I trusted him to be a drill sergeant that he was, he didn't let me down.

Last edited:
NAUI. Finished everything last week and am signing the paperwork tomorrow.

DiverRider......
If your Instr required you to do the Treat for 15 minutes without hands, then he did not follow standards.
It seems for some reason, some Instructors, feel the need to add their own "standards" to training.

This is a no-no, no matter how much "character, or what ever" someone wants to say it adds.

Sorry, but that's the reality of it.

I was a Drill Sgt, and going beyond max standards for the swim/tread, does not make you a better DM.

Islandheart

No worries, it was fun and I learned a lot. I'm glad I can do a tread like that at my age, and I also burned up the 400 yard swim and 800 yard swim too. I'm not at all displeased at what he did, yes there are standards I know this and I don't hold it against him, it doesn't make me a better DM but it does tell me I'm in good shape and can accept an unforeseen physical challenge too. We have a good relationship and something that trivial isn't gonna make me write PADI and boo hoo about it. All is good!!!

D.R.,

Fully understand that you hold no difficulty toward him. BUT

If an Instructor trains and evals to standards, and then said " Just for fun, want to try it for X amount more with hands holding bricks," then more power to him and you.

Ask yourself? When you become a DM, how are you going to do your Scuba Reviews? With blacked out mask ? Or in freezing water with no wetsuits ? or ????

How about your other duties?

Islandheart

My intention is to move on and continue my education in the industry. I plan on using the skills I have learned and no not impose obvious detrimental and non-standard teaching. I have arranged going on to Assistant Instructor where I shall remain until I feel the time is right to move on.

You have made your point and there is no need to beat this to death. It was an isolated incident and I will not discuss it further. I'll not be teaching like that and again I still hold nothing against him. This discussion is now closed.

Have nice day!

Back
Top Bottom