dived St Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds awesome. I am taking my Sea & Sea underwater camera (film) and am looking at getting the Canon A520 with a housing so we can take both underwater and have topside shots. I have a Kodak digital but I can't get a housing for it.We always use passports, your right about it being so much easier. I would love to dive the Rhone, so hope we get the chance. There is just so many things to see & do I think we are going to run out of time before we get to see it all.

I tried to get the 2 extra nights at the resort but they are full for the 2 days we need. I can get us into the Holiday Inn for $119 or the Best Western Carib for $129 per night plus tax so may end up having to go that route. I am still checking on some other places.

Thanks again for all your help.

Suzanne

You're visiting a great place to buy a camera if you are in the market. Both Boulchands and Royal Carribbean have great prices and no tax. They are almost always lower then main land prices and have a large selection. Also they will usually throw in memory cards, case, etc. but make sure to ask.

As far as hotel the Best Western Carib is on the beach but is right near the airport, I mean like next to it. The Holiday Inn is on the town waterfront (no beach) and at the end of the shopping "strip".

I know they don't have a great website but do take a look at the Mafolie. It's a family run hotel and the views are amazing. You're also above town so out of the traffic somewhat. They used to and may still have a complementary breakfast for guests. The restaurant is great and both it and the bar are some of the best places to watch the sun set.

Can't resist a couple of other restaurant recommendations. Some friends of ours run Indigo, at Megans Point resort, it's very good. Also Old Stone Farm House for an elegant meal or Off the Hook in Red Hook for great sea food.

enjoy,

chris

Thanks Chris, I tried the Mafolie and they are booked for the dates we needed. Looks like we can get into Point Pleasant for around $100 to $120 per night. Trying to check it out some more before booking as tripadvisor did not give it very favorable reviews. I also checked out Horizens, we are going to book the Virgin Gorda and Baths trip with them. One question, are we better off booking online before we go or waiting until we get there? Does St Thomas have coupon books that they pass out to tourists at the airport upon arrival like they do on the other Islands we have been to that mau give us a discount on some of the tour boats?

I like the restaurant recommendations so please name them if you have any more favorites. We love fresh grilled seafood and eating outside by the water. Is Foxy's Beer really good or is it just fair? Hubby wants to know. For me I have to try one just because its Foxys. What is the locals favorite boat drink?

I know, to many questions....LOL I think I have almost as much fun planning out trips as I do going on them.

Thanks again for all your help.

Suzanne

Suzanne

ahh, this is killing me, I’ve wanted to move back for a while and this is doing it. :)

I think for two nights Point Pleasant should be fine. We had some friends who lived there but that's over a year ago now. Another suggestion is Cabrita Point, they have some nice condo's, Julianna who manages them is great. Not sure if they'll have them for two days though. Might also try Cow Pet or Saphire Beach for condo’s.

There are some coupon books at the airport, I don't remember Horizons being in them though. Ask them when you call, I'm sure if they do have coupon they'd honor it since you would get it when you land.

If was off season I'd say it's ok to wait to book your boat trip but if you're planning your days it wouldn't hurt to book in the next couple of months. That time of year if you wait till you are on island you may/may not get on. Also they do a great sunset sail over to Christmas Cove on St. John (where the Beatles hung out back in the day and supposedly an inspiration for "Octopuses Garden.") It's a nice sail over, anchor to watch the sunset and have dinner / drinks and then back.

mmm food and drink. Off the Hook that I mentioned before is great. It's at Red Hook at AYH (American Yacht Harbor). Just next door for a snack before or after diving with Chris Sawyer is Burrito Bay, great sandwiches. Can be a bit of a wait but remember "island time" it is real. Other places, Bolongo has a nice restaurant on the beach, also if you make a trek to St. John, Asolare is over the water and has a spectacular sunset. Make a reservation for 6ish (or when they open) get there early (others will) to get a balcony seat. Another great east end place is Blue Moon Café. I haven’t been to Havana Blue but friends who live on the island say it’s good. Have a sushi crave try Budda Bar, across from fish hawk marina.

Fungi’s is usually a tourist stop, it’s on the water and right near point pleasant, so if you are staying there it’s probably worth a dinner or drink at least. Hang with the locals at Jacks in Tutu Gardens. Great wings, and I think they still do the Thursday specials. If you want to splurge on a Sunday the brunch at the Ritz Carlton is amazing and the view is great. We use to go early, bring a book and eat for about 3-4 hours then go take a nap on the beach. That's island life!

Drinks: Foxy's lager is GREAT, although on St Thomas (at least) it's not really drunk by the locals. Much consumed "local" beer is Heineken, called greenies. Just order two greenies from the bar tender, to see what I mean. Cruzan Rum both the light and dark as well as flavored are good as mixers. Go to Cost U Less for the best prices beer and liquor. For example it’s $4 ish at Cost U Less for a bottle and it’s $12 for the same bottle in Chicago. On the boat, hmmm on my outings we started with hibiscus (champagne and cranberry) and usually moved to Pain Killers some time later, Have one at Pussers and Soggy Dollar bar on your BVI trip to compare.

If you go to St. John, remember no “s”, it’s not Johns. Get off the people ferry take a left around the small park and follow the road to the T. It’s about 3 minute walk. There’s a small bar with 2 for $3 Presidente beers, get two. Take a right at the T, go past Duffy’s take a left and you’ll run into Woody’s. Stop. Maybe Kenny Chesney or Kid Rock are hanging out, if they are on island they may be there. Do your shopping before Woody’s or you might not shop at all. Also buy your round trip ferry ticket when you go over so you can just get on, handing them the return ticket.

Whew, ok probably more than you wanted to know. let me know if I can be of more help.

Remember Keep Left, especially when turning corners, seems that’s where people forget and swerve into the other lane. Map’s are available at the airport and it’s not that hard to find your way. However the Map has road numbers, no one know the road by the numbers only by name so don’t be afraid to ask.

chris

Chris, sorry I'm making you feel USVI deprived. You have really been so helpful. I have printed off all the info you have given me on trips, diving, restaurants, Etc.

Now I have good news... I was checking out Sky Auction and saw a room at the Marriott's Frenchman's Reef Beach Resort. Your choice number of nights from 1 thru 7. I made a last minute bid for $92.00 as it was already at $90.00 per night thinking aint never gonna happen as I never have won any of these type things. But I won the thing for $91.00 per night plus the taxes & fees for Sky Auction and the Resort. Total I got if for was $236.00 for the two nights as I had $25.00 Sky Auction credit for signing up as a new member. I can now think about all the fun things we want to do while there and not where am I gonna sleep for two nights. LOL

So now I'm back to questions again... where is the resort in conjunction to the Elysian and is it as nice as the photos look? We will proably not be eating there as the restaurants look very expensive and not laid back casual like we prefer. The website said they have a water taxi that takes you downtown for shopping. With this in mind and stayng close to the marina and ferry dock in Red Hook, should we opt for a rental car for the entire trip or just wait and rent for a couple of days to tour the Island. We plan to do two full day boat trips and 4 days diving. Add two days for travel there and back and a trip over to St John (NO S) lol, that pretty much uses up our 9 days so we are rethinking the car. Any thoughts on this?

Suzanne

Glad to be of help, just kidding on the deprivation. Just talked to a friend earlier on their way to Sopchoppy's for a drink after work, now that made me feel deprived.

Congrats on the room, that's a great price for the Reef! It is a nice hotel, but you are right about eating there. It is expensive and the drinks can be pretty pricy.

I know it's expensive but I'd opt for a car the entire trip. Get the cheap small compact, you don't need the soft-top jeep, unless you want it ;-). Here's why. Taxi's add up and St. Thomas (for an island) is pretty spread out. I almost always heard tourists saying they'd rent a car next time, especially families. You’ll be driving or taking a taxi on your 4 days of diving to Chris Sawyer. It’s to far to walk to Red Hook, well it probably would take 30-45 min or so.

For example for the Airport to the Elysian is $14 ($7 per person)plus .50 per suitcase. I think they also just raised the rates by $1 so it might be slightly higher. Check out http://www.st-thomas.com/week/taxi.html for more info. Forget about Vitran (the bus) I think few locals take it as it never seems to run (on time). There are Safari taxi’s but they run one way around the island. You just get on/off, it’s $1 per person although that may have just gone up slightly.

Once at the Elysian you want to go to Red Hook, or back into Charlotte Amalie (town) or grocery shopping, etc. The Elysian is out on the East End and the Reef (as the locals call it) is more in the middle part of the island. The water taxi goes to the downtown water front, in the middle of the island.

Here's a link to a detailed map, best one I could quickly find. You have to click on each section to get the "whole thing"
http://www.st-thomas.com/week/stt-island-map.html.

There’s a much better foldable pocket map that the VI tourist bureau gives out and is at the airport, shops, etc. I’m not sure if they will send one but the tourism website is
http://www.usvitourism.vi/
also the 800 number is 800.372.USVI. Ask for one of the pocket maps and a St. Thomas this week, if they will send them there are great maps and things to do in This Week.

When you go to St. John, leave the car on St. Thomas and take the People Ferry. It's every hour and much cheaper. You'll easily spend the day walking around the down town, check out the shops, bars, etc. If you want to go to Trunk Bay, it's cheaper to get the taxi there and back. If I remember it's $30 or so for the car round trip.

You might want to take a taxi on the day of your Horizons BVI trip though, might be a little sloshy on the return.

another car note. Domino is the cheapest for gas and is full serve. Just pull up tell them to fill it up. There's one as you come from the Elysian to Red Hook, Just turn left instead of right to Red Hook (you'll know when you are there.) Also there is one near the airport.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Maps were very helpful. We are looking at cars and have found a couple of sites that we can get fairly decent rental rates. Will be checking on them this next week.

Suzanne

Back
Top Bottom