divecomputer.eu just got even more ridiculus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For this divecomputer.eu crap I paid 486euros. Most of the software glitches seem very easy to be fixed (the hardware ones like broken screens etc are not so easy to fix obviously but luckily my unit seems ok so far). If these SW issues could be fixed it would be a fine computer for the price.

A perdix here costs ~900-1000euros (the non-AI version) - maybe a bit less from other EU countries. That's about double the price!! Also I hear that Shearwater's support here in Europe is problematic too.

For me all I wanted was a computer that runs ZHL-16C. Back then I was trying a bit of technical diving (did advanced nitrox) hence I wanted something that could support several mixes (and why not trimix just in case). Now for several reasons I still dive only recreationally (frequently solo) and chances of going any further are low.

If only peregrine was out few months earlier or I was a few months late.

Under different financial circumstances (due to covid) I would try to sell it and upgrade to a peregrine or something. For now I see me diving with it until further notice. My unit works after all and somewhat covers my needs.

My recommendation before buying expensive equipment: online research.
When I was about to buy it I searched online a lot. As a relatively new product I couldn't find much info. I saw a couple of reports of people having hw problems (broken screens etc) but those were few and I guessed (wrongly) that the company would support its' customers. After I bought it, things became more and more clear.

Thanks anybody

I don't understand why people skimp on dive gear like a dive computer. If you get a good one it will last for years.

I paid A$1,215 for my Shearwater Perdix AI. I have done over 400 dives with it. That works out to be around $3 per dive (so far). Cheaper than an air fill. I expect to do many more dives with it so the per dive price just keeps getting cheaper.

I don't understand why people skimp on dive gear like a dive computer. If you get a good one it will last for years.

I paid A$1,215 for my Shearwater Perdix AI. I have done over 400 dives with it. That works out to be around $3 per dive (so far). Cheaper than an air fill. I expect to do many more dives with it so the per dive price just keeps getting cheaper.
He did not skimp, he could have bought two Zoops for that money.

He did make a classic mistake of being an early adopter. There is at least one other manufacturer’s early adopter remorse thread just getting going. My post about not being an early adopter in the main thread about that computer was deleted by the mods.

The divecomputer.eu people are perfectly nice, I have met some of them, but they appear to have been out of their depth. The same goes for most of the people that start from the diving side rather than the proper technology side of things. If you have never built a device of this class you can have no clue as to the hidden complications.

I don't understand why people skimp on dive gear like a dive computer.
Let me try to explain. These A$1,215 your Perdix worths is close to my family's monthly income (2 adults 2 kids) which BTW probably will get even less in the coming months (due to covid).

Based on this, I had two options: either change hobby or try to get the best value out of my (limited) money. My budget was around 300 euros back then. I could get another Cressi or similar. My only DC back then was a Cressi Newton I bought second hand (but like new) 2 years ago and I am still very happy with (it is my backup now). But instead of another entry level I preferred to pay a bit more and get something more future proof.
Before the said DC I followed similar approaches to get my BPW (bought one from tecline - another Polish company with reasonably priced items but VERY good quality) and I am VERY happy with it. Similar for my regs (Scubapro Mk11 + C370 + R395 - mid range but more than good enough for me) and so on.

Of course if I had the money I knew that a Perdix, a Halcyon BPW and a Mk25 or so reg would be the "best" but I don't.

Sorry guys, there are people out there with limited budget that still like to dive and I think diving with "low" budget is still perfectly safe and doable.

If you get a good one it will last for years.
At the time I bought it I though I was buying a good DC that would serve me for years.

I hope now you understand better.

Hi
This situation of having a limited budget and looking for diving equipment is always a bit tricky as we are lead to think that diving implies a lot of expenses.
Of course, it would always be more expensive than going out for a walk but for a passionate person in a good environment (club system, shore diving,.. ) diving should not be that expensive.
Do you need "top of the range" (if that means something) regs? No, you only need properly adjusted regs.
Do you need top backplate and wing? No you just need a balanced system.
Do you need a computer? You can start by learning and understand basic deco theories and play with free (or cheap) desktop/phone apps and a slate and if you really want a pdc, you can get now an affordable 2 or 3 gas computer.
Why did you think you needed such an "advanced computer"?
Put the money in gas and dive dive and dive. Plenty of alternatives for equipment but none for experience

As a european, i am wondering. Is it not arranged in the whole of europe that you get a 2-year guarantee after buying? This is a legal requirement as far as i know (had to search it a bit though)

In short, you are in your right to send them a signed letter (or mail) (keep a copy) and demand a full refund because they tried to fix it, and it still is not solved. You probably have the mails and such as evidence. They have to give you a refund, price reduction or atleast have to replace the product/install that new software at no costs.

You bought a working device, it does not work and its not your fault. This is not some online game that demands extra payment for downloading extra content. That buggy software is supposed to keep you safe.

And to all haters, he did not buy a 50dollar divecomputer at some bargainshop. You would expect a 500 euro device to do a decent job, whatever brand it is.

There is always the chance of false economy in buying only based on price, you can sometimes look at the (in this case) $300 savings or think of it as a $600 discount which is how I would look at something like a computer. Other cases like the backplate/wing the money saved was a good choice and same with the MK11/C370, these are top performers at crazy low prices, I would pick them over a MK25/S600 which are also great regs but in use offer nothing over the other.

There are even cheaper computers out there running this algorithm but here on SB one company offering one was excoriated for not offering every feature that items costing 4 times as much, HOW DARE they!!

Other cases, like Seaskin are an example of true savings for great quality, some people want to feel they have the best and are willing and able to lay out the money to back up the feeling, good for them. While I’m tempted to say there are no wrong answers (choices) this is not always the case, Shearwater is almost always the right answer but some people are happy with other choices too, wanting a basic computer there are a lot of options, wanting more advanced features...

I'd just like to point out that this thread has some good examples of the elitist attitude that causes me to visit ScubaBoard in cycles. I come, hang out, learn some stuff, get fed up with the overwhelming "tech" attitude towards everything, and take a break for a while. I think we would all do well to remember there's a great spectrum of people here from professionals to enthusiasts to hobbyists. We all have our own path, but while our goals and budgets differ but we're all here for the love of the same sport. Shaming of any sort has no place here. Peace out.

McLean.jpg

Interesting info. I wonder, would it be possible to load McLean's firmware to divecomputer.eu devices ???
That is assuming of course that McLean proves to have better software engineers AND that it supports older units.

Above is info about this computer from oryginal producer. He wrote in comments:
"This is a different product (multilingual) based on our latest architecture but you can switch software as long as it is "NXP" version"

He did not skimp, he could have bought two Zoops for that money.
Sorry... that wasn't meant to be directed to the OP at all. It was a general comment based on other comments in the thread and frequent comments on Scubaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom