Dive With Martin - Last 4 months or so?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Changing my Dive Operator in Coz for the first time. Planning on going with DWM as many on board have expressed wonderful experiences with them. I understand there have been some changes and want to know if any of you have been diving with them in the last 4 or 5 months? Did you spring for King Diver Pgm? Nitrox? Looking for overall impressions as of late. Thanks in advance all you divers!

5615mike:
Changing my Dive Operator in Coz for the first time. Planning on going with DWM as many on board have expressed wonderful experiences with them. I understand there have been some changes and want to know if any of you have been diving with them in the last 4 or 5 months? Did you spring for King Diver Pgm? Nitrox? Looking for overall impressions as of late. Thanks in advance all you divers!

Which dive operator are you changing from and why ? What specific things are you looking for from a new operator ?

We dove with his op at Christmas. We have use him on previous trips as well. His op is a no frills op we like to use him and was always on time. They would take us where we wanted to go. Ask for Orlando for a dm his is very good he took us to San Juan reef up north and we got to see apprx 15 eagle rays. Let us stay in the water until it was time to come up did not rush us. Martin was on the boat with us last time we used him but did not see him this time. I heard I think on this board that his brother had died a few months back and he had not been around.

We had a free night dive with our pkg and we made arrangments with the dm for a certin night along with a few others. When we showed up at the shop, no pick at pier for night dives, someone told us it had been cancelled and that they had left everyone msgs. No one left us any msg at our room. A little p.o.'d about that. Never did get that night dive. Some of the others were suppose to get a video never saw that either. We got two the last time we were there.

We had Reuben for a dm and didn't care for him at all, timed the dives were rushed along the reef didn't really watch some of the newbies and that was another thing they mixed experienced divers with non. When we had used his op before we were on the boat with divers that were experienced. I will give them the benefit of the doubt it was Christmas time and I'm sure no one wants to work at Christmas some of the ops didn't even go out Christmas day.

I would use him again for the money it's a good op. The pluses out weigh the minuses. 7:45 am pick takes you where you want to go. Ask for Orlando. Jorge is a great boat captain but I've only seen him captain the large boat which ain't bad if there are only 6 divers.
Have fun

We were on a cruise that stopped at Cozumel. The dive op I had scheduled with had to cancel at the last minute to to a "family" emergency and I booked a couple of dives with Dive with Martin.

I have to agree that they are basic dive op, no frills but they got the job done and saved the day for my daughter and I. The fact that they were right down the dock from the cruise ship was a definite plus for me!!

We dove the Santa Rosa wall and then La Plata reef, IIRC. Both dives were awesome. The DM Alturo was good at pointing out the cool stuff and gave us plenty of BT. I would use them again, but I really want to try Blue XT Sea, :54: maybe next time

what do you mean ABCdiver and parrottheadiver when you say they are a "no frills" DO. Explain further please. I have always dove with Aldora so if you know anything about that op then you know what we have been used to in past. Have either or you used the King Diver program.......big tanks?

5615mike:
what do you mean ABCdiver and parrottheadiver when you say they are a "no frills" DO. Explain further please. I have always dove with Aldora so if you know anything about that op then you know what we have been used to in past. Have either or you used the King Diver program.......big tanks?
Well, for me it's a way of saying they don't have fancy boats, they only use AL80s and the don't have much in the way of SI snacks or the like. But they are less expensive than some. I paid $100 for two dive trip for two divers. If I were spend more than a day or two diving I would go with Aldora or another DO that could and would make the multiple dives more enjoyable.

Your needs and desires might change things

DWM does offer larger tanks, steel 95's. Did you not ask or did they not tell you about them? Aldora does not have fancy boats and they don't have SI snacks or the like either. Only thing I've ever got on Aldora's boats is water. I've been diving with them for 4 years. Yes they have big tanks. Unless your really burning alot of air, you'll never need it since you'll hit deco.

I have dived with Martin a couple times. Last time was about a year ago. First time was about 8 years ago right after I got OW cert. Felt a little rushed, but good operation. Would use again.

firediver293:
I have dived with Martin a couple times. Last time was about a year ago. First time was about 8 years ago right after I got OW cert. Felt a little rushed, but good operation. Would use again.

Felt a little rushed.....what do you mean? What sites did you dive to you recall? I'm looking for all the info I can. Thanks

I did 8 day trips and a couple night trips with DWM the 2nd week of November. They have a great attitude and are good enough that I'd use them in the future, although there were a few glitches here and there.

They have several boats. Most seem to be setup for 12passengers, although I never saw more than 10 anyday,and several times went out with just 4 other passengers. Their boats had lots of room, reasonable amounts of shade, reasonably fast, but weren't of the super fast "panga" style. Most (all?) of their boats lacked a head, but we pulled into various shore parks for surface intervals. Ana-Maria III was backroll entry; no ladder; remove BC in water for boarding. Anna Maria II is twin 150hp outboards, 22kts. Themis, aka "The Green boat" was the slowpoke with twin 115hp, but is due to be upgraded or replaced.

As with all dive operations, your experience will vary with the particular boat captain and DM. Dives were typically around 50 minutes for the 1st, SI just over an hour and a 60 or 70 minute 2nd dive. I only saw AL80, although they may have larger tanks. Divers go up in pairs when they hit ascent point. "Loose buddy" system where divers without buddies just hang with the group.

My favorite DM was Orlando. Nice slow pace; great at finding stuff. Not in a hurry to get out of the water -- nice 83 minute night dive.

Pablo is a very "relaxed" DM. On my first dive with Pablo another diver dropped down to a 160' ledge. This was prearranged with Pablo, but they didn't mention it to the rest of the group. Willing to push NDL limits and/go into deco as long as we have the gas to deco back out. Pablo was also content to get back on the boat and leave me to finish out my dives solo once he saw that I had a dsmb.

The other DMs, such as David and Ramon also seemed to enjoy what they were doing and had great attitudes.

The owner, Martin, without prompting, moved me onto the discounted schedule when I signed up for more dives. They also surprised me by delivering a free video that came with the extended package that I hadn't really signed up for.

Their pickup times at the La Ceiba dock varied up to an hour, depending upon how far north they had to go to pick up other divers before swinging by to pick me up on their way back south, and depending upon how much confusion there was in scheduling changes for last minute bookings and divers that didn't show. A few times, boats had to rendevous during the SI to exchange tanks or other gear to compensate for changes in plan.

Charlie Allen

Back
Top Bottom