dive wading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeppermintPaddi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Apologies in advance for being slightly off topic.....but you guys have a breadth of experience I'd like to tap, if I may?

A friend is a long time caver and photographer and recently started wet caving, in a wetsuit. (See it's diving related) Problem is that he still sinks. He's been using the camera pelican case as flotation, but with indifferent success. There's lots of hiking involved, and 'wading' in water that is sometimes over his head. I suggested flip fins for maneuverability :), but he didn't much like the idea. He needs the use of his hands. Any flotation/buoyancy suggestions?

Apologies in advance for being slightly off topic.....but you guys have a breadth of experience I'd like to tap, if I may?

A friend is a long time caver and photographer and recently started wet caving, in a wetsuit. (See it's diving related) Problem is that he still sinks. He's been using the camera pelican case as flotation, but with indifferent success. There's lots of hiking involved, and 'wading' in water that is sometimes over his head. I suggested flip fins for maneuverability :), but he didn't much like the idea. He needs the use of his hands. Any flotation/buoyancy suggestions?

Hit one of the local shops and pick up an inexpensive snorkel jacket. If he finds a cave with a submerged tunnel. Give me a call. :D

I will back k-valve up on that advice. Pick up a snorkeling jacket. Maybe a snorkel, mask and fins too. If your friend squawks loudly about all of the extra gear, you have a simple response . . . . . . do you want to do this or not?

I love my scuba diving. But there are days when I think it is way too gear intensive. But you know what? If I want to do this as a hobby, I just have to suck it up and be a big boy. Carry my gear.

If I want to do this as a hobby, I just have to suck it up and be a big boy. Carry my gear.

Heh - that or fork out for your own personal dive sherpa. But most of us cant afford one by the time we've paid for all the gear. :wink:

I vote snorkle vests as well, the big plus is that they can be deflated and stored in a very small space when they aren't needed and re-inflated by mouth when needed again.

Heh - that or fork out for your own personal dive sherpa. But most of us cant afford one by the time we've paid for all the gear. :wink:

Unless you're in Mexico. Zinc and I paid a couple of kids $5 to carry all of our gear up and down a big hill to a cool, little secluded dive site. They brought it down, waited for us to finish our dive and then hauled it back to the truck. I woulda brought 'em back to the states with us, but as soon as we had 'em Americanized they would have upped their prices and started complaining & cutting corners. :wink:

i woulda brought 'em back to the states with us, but as soon as we had 'em americanized they would have upped their prices and started complaining & cutting corners. :wink:

so true!!!!!

I"ve heard of bleach jugs (empty) tied handle to handle then strung from behind the arm accross the chest then back under and up behind the other arm, hard to explain.

Not hard to explain at all.

Before BCD techology, the old divers used to string jugs together. The jugs are empty (ie. filled with air), and tied together at the handles using a rope. The snorkeler then stings the rope across the chest and under/through each arm. The jugs then provide positive buoyancy to the snorkeler by lifting on each armpit. Go figure. Humans are sometimes too clever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom