Dive Videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAUI DIVER

Reaction score
Aloha Everyone.

I am new here and this is my first thread.

I wanted to ask everyone a couple questions, if I may.

Have you ever purchased any Dive Videos while on vacation?

What did you think?

What would do different?

We are a Dive Video Service for Maui Dive Shop. We are called PureDIGITAL Maui, www.pdmaui.com We had some questions to ask new divers like yourself.

Technology has changed dramatically, so there are so many options for creating amazing dive video memories. So, feedback is important.

Here are a couple more questions.

Would you prefer to download your Dive Video from the internet or receive a DVD/VHS ??

Would you prefer to view it online first before you purchase it online?

How computer saavy are divers, anyways?

Will you guys be able to download your dive videos without any trouble?

We appreciate any feedback you have on this subject.

Malama O Ke Kai

DIVE DIVE DIVE

Aloha & Mahalo,

Maui Diver

Hi!
When we were in Cancun 2 years ago we had the chance to have a video made of a dive. We had it on a dvd instead of download because we had dial-up and it would never load right. I really enjoy looking back on it and wondering why we weren't certified yet. They did previews it for us before purchasing, and we are semi-computer literate, but the dial-up would never have worked for us back home.

We bought DVDs in Roatan and Cozumel. We didn't have the online option.

I like the DVD option. It's just nice to have it in my hot little hands, rather than something on the computer.

I have purchased a handful of DVD's from videographers. I like to preview before buying.

I dislike a lot of "stock footage" in my personal DVD. If it wasn't something that was there or if something didn't happen during my dive, it isn't something I want to see on my DVD.

I assume you're talking about "dive vacation" videos with the tourist divers being in the videos--not Discovery Channel productions that are meant for a wide audience.

I think you should strike while the iron is hot--sell a video when the people are still with you and the memory of their dive is fresh and exciting. Most operations I have seen, actually play the video in their shop so divers can see the video before deciding to purchase it--within an hour or two of the dive.

DVD has twice the screen resolution of VHS; VHS began disappearing a while ago. Actually, DVD will be replaced with HD-DVD (high definition DVD).

If you're offering online sales, I think most people would prefer to view online before deciding, but as I said, most would prefer to buy on the spot while they're still excited, rather than buy online days or weeks afterward. Online sales may not be worth the effort.

Also, video takes up a lot of bytes. Any video that can be downloaded over the Internet in a reasonable amount of time would be of much lower quality than a DVD (conversely, any DVD-quality video would take a tremendous amount of time to download). Plus, those people who are willing to wait days or weeks to order a video online would probably not be anxious to download, and would probably be satisfied with your mailing a DVD instead.

The quality depends on the videographer. This is especially true if you sell the video immediatley after the dive--with no time for editing. Most videos I've seen have actually been pretty good, although the canned music they impose over the video is pretty distracting (I actually mute it).

Good luck! Aloha!

I, for one, would like the download option. That gives me more mobility and I can always burn a DVD if I want to. Plus, I don't have to worry about losing or destroying it.

Why not offer both?

MAUI DIVER:
...Would you prefer to download your Dive Video from the internet or receive a DVD/VHS ??

Would you prefer to view it online first before you purchase it online?

How computer saavy are divers, anyways?

Will you guys be able to download your dive videos without any trouble?

We appreciate any feedback you have on this subject...

I agree with Jcsgt's remarks in her post. The short answer is that DVD is the best current mass media option. Here are few more items that you may want to consider:
  • The native resolution and format is also very important, junk in/junk out....
  • To get my business, it should be shot and saved in the highest possible resolution providing a stellar digital performance on at least a 100 inch 16 x 9 film screen; VHS does not pass that test...
  • Downloads at that resolution take too long even with a fast high speed home connection. Be prepared to ship the DVD if necessary to deal with the mobility issue.
  • Not sure you are asking the right question about how PC savvy we are, ask us about our home theatre if you want to get some meaningful demographic information that you can use to package a product that will entice us.
  • Selection of background music would be a nice touch as that can often be worse than the stock footage that Jcsgt alludes to in her post.

Best wishes,

Blue Moon

aloha & mahalo for the feedback.

you have confirmed my thoughts.

There is no question that the original master is of at least broadcast quality resolution. Been doing that for the past 8 years already.

The delivery is where I am at and technology is moving at such a rapid rate that the future, as I see it, will all be interconnected, computers & home theatre systems.

By delivering online, gives the opportunity for website traffic value which in turn will lower the price of the video. The process is becoming so streamlined that you will be able to download an hour video in 5 minutes.

A DVD in hand is always better for the end user, I agree.
The sale as well should be made on hand and in the moment.

Looks as if DVDs are here to stay, well, at least for a little while longer.

Again, mahalo for the feedback. Keep it coming.

Aloha.

Maui Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom