Dive Venture Crews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the high school where I teach we returned to doing "clubs". With my new found love of diving I sponsored a scuba club. One of the officers from our local Boy Scout chapter contacted me about turning it into a venturing crew and silly me I agreed :) . We have now done 2 fundraisers and exploring our 3rd. We have traveled to the lake house that our LDS owns (they do their OW training there and host fun dives throughout the year) to do clean-up work in exchange for training. As of this date I have had 3 of my crew complete their part one training with 3 more planning on completing their part one in early april. My crew has begun planning a senior trip (they are mostly juniors) to either the scout scuba base in the Keys, Coz or BVI to spend a week on the LDS's catamaran.

It's been frustrating and fun all at the same time. The biggest hurdle I face is the financial aspect of all this as the school I teach at is a innercity low ses high minority facility. I have great kids with a bunch of drive and that is the only reason I am doing it. I do get a kick from taking my kids out of the city (some have never ventured beyond the city limits) and exploring the world. We are making a impact on not only the kids close to us but on the other teacher's, adminstrators and students. They see what we have accomplished and want to become part of it. I expect my crew to grow from it's present 10 members to approx 20 members in the fall when enrollment takes place. The crew will set up a information table at enrollment and explain their mission and their goals.

Do it. It's fun, frustrating and rewarding all at the same time.

Brian

Very cool Otter. That is what I want my crew to grow to in a few years.

You might check out your local United Way. They are looking at giving funds to individual units especially if they are serving youth in need. This is a dparture from giving large sums to the council. They feel that giving smaller amounts to individual units may have a more direct effect than contributing to what they sometimes refer to as "fat, council budgets".

Chris

frenchy07:
Very cool Otter. That is what I want my crew to grow to in a few years.

To be clear, this isn't MY Crew....its NetDoc's...the owner/operator of ScubaBoard.

I'd like to get our crew headed in the SCUBA / Ultralight Backpacking genre....but first Eagle for my youngest...before I let him get into Venturing.

Indianhead Council (St. Paul MN) has Crew 820, which specializes in scuba.

I like their Crew uniform - Hawiian shirt with all the BSA patches in the appropriate places.

plsander:
Indianhead Council (St. Paul MN) has Crew 820, which specializes in scuba.

I like their Crew uniform - Hawiian shirt with all the BSA patches in the appropriate places.

Interesting. We have Crew 820 here in Melbourne, FL. My son is a member, and I'm a member of the committee. When my son and I joined the crew, I became the 5th instructor in the crew. Four of the committee members are instructors and the crew president is also an instructor.

http://www.venturecrew820.5u.com/venturecrew.htm

Al

I am dive mastering for a venture crew presently and its a great group of kids. 7 boys and one girl. The are very easy to train and seen to have no fear of the water.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom