Dive trip report Cabo San Lucas Sept 07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just returned from Cabo last week. We stayed at the Playa Grande for two weeks. We were originally going to stay for 9 days but Hurricane Henriette hit and the airport closed and we stayed longer. Due to the hurricane the water was all stirred up and the boat harbour was closed several times, I only got one day of diving in.
I dove with Amigos del Mar (my usual shop). The visibility was horrible 25 feet is charitable, most of the time I was finding the group by the green fins one guy had on. Luckily I ended up buddied with a fellow photog and we spent most of the time looking for little stuff to photograph and pointing stuff out to each other. I was so lucky that he wasn’t one of those hyper speed divers who takes off, I did notice a newbie was buddied with one of those types and he ended up with the DM because his SOB was gone most of the time.
The water was cold at depth 70 degrees and then warmer at about 40 feet up to 82 degrees, it was weird and the DM commented on that. Saw a lot of fish, eels, a nudibranch, octopus, and several bull’s eye wrays. The vis was so bad that the fish pics were awful, but the macro wasn’t too bad.
Amigos del Mar is usually wonderful to dive with so I was surprised to find that it was just ok this time. The DM mentioned several times that we were to climb the ladder in full gear, with weights. I chose to hand up my weights and then my BCD and climb the ladder as usual, as several others did too. The DM wasn’t happy with that but the boat captain was fine with it (he grabbed the stuff); not sure what’s up there. I did tip, but wanted to mostly tip the captain. Other than that is was a good dive day.
We did a side trip to Todos Santos and had a ball. There was road construction along the way but we got there in one piece and had fun wandering around the town.
All in all it was a great trip, just wish I would’ve been able to dive more.
choco :crafty: posted a few pics in my gallery here.

Chocoholic,

Thanks for the dive report. I'll be heading to Cabo in about a month, and was looking for suggestions on good/safe dive operators, and water conditions. Sorry to hear you couldn't get more diving in.

Take care,

Greg

Back
Top Bottom