Dive trip report - Belmar NJ June 26, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

industrious95

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The "Venture 3" is a dive boat run by Paul & Ruth Hepler out of Belmar NJ. In addition to commercial work and dive shop trips, Paul runs private dive charters, and a constantly changing group of about 20 of us have been mid-week diving on the Venture 3 for over 20 years. New divers are always welcome to join us, so if Belmar, NJ is do-able for you, PM me and I'll put your name on our list. I don't check scubaboard every day, so don't be alarmed if you don't get an immediate response.

Yesterday was one of those "perfect days" that only seem to crop up on 1 out of 4 or 5 diving days here in NJ. We got 3 dives in, all relatively shallow (80 ft). It was a good day for hunting for all aboard. We visited the NE Sailor, plus two of Paul's "secret spots."

To start the day, we were pleased to find out that NOAA was wrong again. Instead of 10-15 KT winds and 3 foot seas, we found a gentle breeze and a 1 foot swell. that pretty much stayed that way the entire day.

The NE Sailor was easily the best viz I've seen on a NJ dive this year. About 20 feet of clean, calm water. Bottom temp was 50 on all 3 dives. The NE Sailor is the remains of an old wooden ship in 75 feet of water about 7 or 8 miles out of Belmar NJ. She's always great for digging because it's a sandy bottom that doesn't kick up too much silt. Here's a little write up on the wreck from Rich Galiano's website: NE Sailor.

This was my first visit here since Hurricane Sandy, and it looks to me like the bottom's been rearranged, with a large portion of decking and debris pushed off to the side, and a chain pile that's been flattened down a bit.

Sea Bass harvest drops from 15 fish to 3 fish per person on July 1st here in NJ, but the word must have got out to the Sea Bass a few days early, because they were out in mass on the NE Sailor. Know the expression "Shooting fish in a barrel?" That pretty much sums it up. There wasn't a Sea Bass in every hole. There weren't 2 Sea Bass in every hole. More like 3,4 and even 5. Quite a few of the Sea Bass brought up were engorged with sand eels. So I doubt if a fisherman with rod and reel would have done as well because these fish could not have been very hungry.

Our second stop was a rock pile that Paul called "Offshore of the offshore rocks." I'm sure every other dive boat captain has their own silly name for this low lying natural reef. But I doubt if they've visited it yet this year, because it looked more like a Lobster breeding ground than a natural reef. From my personal examination, I'd say 3 of every 4 lobsters were eggers. That means I had to pull 12 bugs out of their holes to find 3 keepers. But I gently put the mommies back, knowing that in 4 or 5 years, I'd be back to visit their kids. I also found a nice size Fluke in the sand who I gathered up to bring home to meet the family. I named him "Dinner for 5."

Last stop was another natural rock pile. We've pretty much stopped asking Captain Paul where we are, because the names we get become more and more meaningless. I think this was the "East of the west on-shore rocks," or maybe the "West of the east off-shore." One thing it definitely isn't anymore is home to half a dozen lobster, several large fluke and a few more sea bass.

The best way to end any dive in NJ is to return to the boat and find the ladder just hanging off the boat like a ladder leaning against your house. As opposed to bouncing up and down, that is. On the short ride back into Belmar, we saw several pods of dolphins. You never get tired of that.

Remember, Sea Bass limit drops to 3 fish after June 30th, so fill up your freezer's this weekend.

Sounds like a great time. I'm wanting to start hunting, but want to get more experience in the water first. It's going very well so far. Busy this weekend and heading to Largo in 2 weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom